WAG Grips for bigger, higher level gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kris

Proud Parent
My daughter needs new grips. She's been using hot shot grips for years now (leather cuff since level 7) and liking them, but her coach seems to think she needs something else for her next pair. DD is 5'2" and training level 9 -- aka lots of giants and shoot overs. Any recommendations on the "next step" after hot shot grips? TIA!

Do they still make Nastia grips? It was a while ago, but my dd went from Hot Shots to the Nastia buckle grip. They're both made by US Glove. They seemed similar.

My daughter needs new grips. She's been using hot shot grips for years now (leather cuff since level 7) and liking them, but her coach seems to think she needs something else for her next pair. DD is 5'2" and training level 9 -- aka lots of giants and shoot overs. Any recommendations on the "next step" after hot shot grips? TIA!
Does the coach say why? What the coach thinks she needs in grips would direct what you should look for.

I have heard that for release levels (9/10) that they need a thicker leather (but they are often wider and harder to break in, so I see some girls stick with their thin grips and just carry extras/replace more often.)
I think the next step up from hot shot in that line is millennium, but they don't have a 2 buckle option?

My gymmie is a 12 yo 5'4' working 8 and still loves her hot shot double buckles.

My daughter has continued to use hot shots grips through 7 years of level 10 and then through 4 years of NCAA on a D1 team, and she competes bars, so she uses them....if your daughter is comfortable in these grips , I wouldn't switch...my daughter has done a Tkatchev and Yeager using these grips. She likes the hot shots because she likes to be able to "feel" the bar around the palm piece...US Glove sells the Hot Shots with a double buckle up to a size 3....and that's the one we have bought for many years...

Ginnastas are great. The leather is already comfy and soft with double buckles. Allaroundgold.com has free shipping :)
Controversial... 5 gymnasts at my gym have tried them, and we have all hated them. I have friends in 4 other gyms and I haven't met a single person that has really enjoyed them IRL yet.

Reisport has some that girls enjoy... but these are wider, thicker, etc. Your dd might not like these if she uses the hot shots. She can stick with those (Why not?), but you will need lots more. Bailie has some narrow grips that I liked...

All the 8-10s at our gym swear by reisports. My dd just came out of ginnastas and she says they were great for six/seven because they are soft, easy to break in and you can really feel the bar, but now that she is training 9/10 stuff she needs more substance. She loves her new reisports. She was able to switch to them mid season so they weren't that bad to break in.

Do they still make Nastia grips? It was a while ago, but my dd went from Hot Shots to the Nastia buckle grip. They're both made by US Glove. They seemed similar.

Thanks! I'll look into those.

Does the coach say why? What the coach thinks she needs in grips would direct what you should look for.

DD has asked a couple times what the coach thinks need to change, and she hasn't gotten an answer yet. We will continue to try and get an answer, but I'm hoping to order something soon.

I think the next step up from hot shot in that line is millennium, but they don't have a 2 buckle option?

Yes, I had thought we would just try the millennium grips, but couldn't seem to find a double buckle variety.

My daughter has continued to use hot shots grips through 7 years of level 10 and then through 4 years of NCAA on a D1 team, and she competes bars, so she uses them....if your daughter is comfortable in these grips , I wouldn't switch...my daughter has done a Tkatchev and Yeager using these grips. She likes the hot shots because she likes to be able to "feel" the bar around the palm piece...US Glove sells the Hot Shots with a double buckle up to a size 3....and that's the one we have bought for many years...

Interesting. Good to know if these still feel the best to her, she may be able to just keep going with them. She'll just have to be sure she always has a couple pairs that are broken in in case one gives out at a meet again.

Reisport has some that girls enjoy... but these are wider, thicker, etc. Your dd might not like these if she uses the hot shots. She can stick with those (Why not?), but you will need lots more. Bailie has some narrow grips that I liked...

That's what most of the higher level girls use at her gym as well.

Whatever she likes... :)

Thanks! We will try to see what her coach thinks needs to change and plan on more hot shots if she doesn't have a specific thing that needs to change.

US Glove will custom-make a 2-buckle version of the Millennium.

Good to know--my daughter has been in Hot Shots since L5, now a L10 with those release moves...she likes the narrow width of the palm for exactly the same reason--to feel the bar on the sides. But durability is poor as she's at the weight limit for the grips. She's reluctant to try the Millenium--it's 1/4" wider. Guess we have to increase the grip budget.

Controversial... 5 gymnasts at my gym have tried them, and we have all hated them. I have friends in 4 other gyms and I haven't met a single person that has really enjoyed them IRL yet.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about Ginnasta? I started buying them for my gymmie after I read rave reviews on Chalkbucket a few years ago. She competed level 9 and Hopes last year and is training elite now. She still likes them, but she doesn't really have much to compare them to, so I'm starting to wonder if I should buy her something else for comparison? Coach told a couple of girls to get Bailey. Wonder if I should order some of those...

Another vote for keep using whatever works and the kid likes. Have also seen girls use hot shots their entire careers.

Our HC really likes the double buckle Bailee's. He prefers to start the girls out in those, bear in mind that nobody in our gym gets grips before they're swinging a lot of giants. I think all our upper Optionals have stuck with the Bailee's...

My daughter is training level 9 and likes Reisport. She actually started out with Reisport right from the start in old level 5.
Same here. Dd is L9 and now has the double-buckle Reisport grips. She likes them and they're pretty durable.

My daughter still uses the narrow double buckle Ginnasta grips and she's most likely competing L9 this year. She's 100 lbs, doing bails, front giants, with no issues. I do think that she is supposed to switch to regular width at 115 lbs, but we'll deal with that when she gets there.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about Ginnasta? I started buying them for my gymmie after I read rave reviews on Chalkbucket a few years ago. She competed level 9 and Hopes last year and is training elite now. She still likes them, but she doesn't really have much to compare them to, so I'm starting to wonder if I should buy her something else for comparison? Coach told a couple of girls to get Bailey. Wonder if I should order some of those...
I think its preference, but my teammates and friends from surrounding gyms all agree that they were 'flimsier'. I switched to Bailie's narrow double buckle and feel much more "secure". I thought the Ginnasta weren't as "grippy" as Reisport, Bailie and Bulldog; but people seem to love Ginnasta; so I'm not sure. Everytime I did a circling skill, or even just tap swings, I felt like I was going to peel - and they were the right size. If your DD likes Ginnasta, I'd stick with them.

Wow. I really think it must just be preference. My dd training level 9/10 uses bailies beginner dowel grips with single buckles. She really likes them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back