WAG Grips - new or used?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach wants me to get grips, so she had me try on another girl's to see if they fit. Apparently this girl quit and forgot to pick up her grips, so now they belong to the gym. According to my coach, they fit fine, and she wants me to try doing bars with them at the next practice. I know they were already broken in by the other girl, and when I swung a little bit they felt really weird, but I'm not sure if it's because they are already formed to the shape of her hand so they wouldn't work right for me, or just because I'm not used to grips. She said if they work, I could keep those, or I could buy my own. Is it okay to use grips that were already broken in by someone else, or should I buy new ones?

Free grips? As long as you aren't doing competitive gymnastics I'd say you're fine. They'll mold to your hands after a few workouts. That's just my opinion though.

Dunno's head just started pounding and since he's probably coaching right now, he won't know why until he reads this thread!

Get your own. You should never use someone else's grips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

IMO, I wouldn't use them. All hands are made different and just because the finger holes and the straps fit fine doesn't mean everything else is "fine" too.
I'm not sure what will happen if you use them but right now I'm getting images of them bunching up mid swing and taking a while to get used to.

If you can get get new grips, get them.

Alright, I thought I remembered reading that you shouldn't use other people's grips, but I got confused since my coach said it was okay. I'll buy my own. Would it be alright to use hers for one practice since my coaches want me too though?

Well I know you should have your own and some people will be very evangelical about that and probably with good reason I don't know about BUT dd's first pair of grips were some from the lost property box at the gym. She didn't have any of her own, when she first joined the team and I was as green as a grasshopper, smiling, nodding and internally panicking about what the heck grips were and how I was going to get some for her. Coach dug some out and said they were fine, a good fit. She used them for a few months before I bought some. I reckon you'll be ok for one more session. And yes, grips will feel very strange when you first wear them and breaking in a new pair will still feel strange.

Dunno's head just started pounding and since he's probably coaching right now, he won't know why until he reads this thread!

so THAT'S why my ears were ringing and i instantly got a migraine when i stepped in my house. NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! you DO NOT wear someone else's grips once they have been broken in. Good memory, cbifoja. :)

But not if you forget to bring yours to a meet, because competing without will ensure that you never forget them again. :)

[Edited to add: works best for L5 boys who aren't doing anything super scary on rings and high bar yet.]

Okay, I wore them for kips and front hip circles because I was too afraid to do anything else with them.

One more question: I think I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't be able to open your hand all the way with grips on. I tried that and could easily flatten my hand out, so does that mean they were too big? Would that be because they were a size too big, or just because they have been stretched out?

who the heck knows??? but they are stretched out if you are opening you hand up and back. throw them out.

My ds did get a pair of "used" grips. The kid who had them used the about 4 times, then decided he wasn't goign to use them that year. When he moved up a level and needed them, they were too small, so they were passed down to D. He had to break them in pretty much all the way. They are perfect for him. He has a back up pair that he is starting to break in, but his original ones are just broken in perfectly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back