WAG Grips vs no grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dynamicduo

Proud Parent
All this talk of grips lately has me wondering about my girls. They are 9, training level 7 and have their giants into layout with a spot from the real bars…but they don't wear grips. The rest of their teammates have had them since old level 5, and one of my dds just gave them up after competing new level 5, and my other dd has never worn them, and she is the best bar worker in her group. Her coach does not want them training in grips because they do so much better without them and he says you don't really need them until you start doing release moves, or at all. I guess in his country the girls don't wear grips at all.

Sooo, basically what I am trying to say/ask, is it ok to go through lower level optionals without grips, or will it just make it that much harder for them when they do finally (if ever) wear them? I'm just curious for my own piece of mind! :)

Hi,
Sounds like all is well. No worries about the grips, Emily didn't wear grips this year as a 7 and all went well at state for her. :) CU next year at the meets!

My niece in Canada has friend who is close to Canadian Olympic gymnast Ellie black, and Ellie apparently didn't start wearing grips until she was in her last year youth age division in Canada ( it's like jr elite but for kids who are too young , generally 10- 12 year old) I'm not 100% sure if she told me correctly but I think that's pretty impressive, both my dds wear grips one is level 6 and the other is trying to score out of 4 in the fall

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back