Grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok well im having the issue on whether or not to get grips. I am 15 years old and competing Open lvl 4 in australia, i am ripping badly every training session (i'm talking 4 within like 10 minutes on bars and its becoming out of control. Normally i push through it because i want to get the skill but then ill get one really big and bad one which prevents me from doing bars for the rest of the session. Next training session i'll wear tape on my hands but it comes off after the first go so it doesn't work. Its really starting to bug me. My friend at gym is telling me to get grips. Although i am not sure i need them because i am not sure they will stop me ripping.

Also i never ripped before i started working on my swing pullover in case that helps your answer

Are there any reasons why i could be ripping excessively and all of a sudden?

you should get grips i think, but they arent going to prevent or stop you getting rips they are just going to lessen the chance of you getting them

I started wearing grips because I was ripping after 2-3 goes on bars. I have to say they've made a huge difference. While I still rip every practice, I can go a lot longer before I rip. Once I rip or if I have a rip that's still healing, I use a tape grip over the rip and a piece of tape wrapped twice over the rip and the tape grip and then of course my real grips over that. I use Baile grips and have thought about switching to English Bulldog grips. One thing that's keep me in Baile grips is that they are slightly wider at the base of my fingers which is where I rip the most.

What skills are you currently working on bars? If you get grips you should probably talk to your coach about getting dowels or not. That being said, everything I've read and everyone I've talked to recommended getting grips with dowels because you're just going to have to re-learn everything once you get dowel grips anyway.

Good luck!! I feel your pain!

Thanks all of you! huge help! im still not sure but i am leaning towards grips because everyone has recommended them so far.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back