WAG Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

Hey guys :D
I'm looking for some women dowel grip recommendations. I wore Nastia and DGS palm guards for a year then switched to dowels. I have 2 pairs of Ginnasta double buckles-but they are so flimsy and thin! What brands do you guys like? My hand is 6.5 inches-so it falls in between sizes. Should I go up or down?

I like Reinsport...those are easy to break in and work really well :) When I ordered grips, the website told me if you fall in the middle, always go up.

I personally prefer buckle over velcro. However, if you like velcro, I would recommend Reinsport. I would also recommend for you to go up a size because your hands will most likely grow.

I prefer bulldog double buckle grips. I still wear a size 1 even though my hand is closer to 7" in length now (I've had 3-4 pairs of these grips in my days) and I have no problems.

Initially the grips are slightly too short, but after working kips, free hips, and giants for a couple days they work fine. I always have to get new grips because my old pair has stretched out and become to long, and started to rip in 1 or 2 places, so starting with them slightly smaller works perfectly for me.

I don't find them too hard to break in.

DD has the 10-0 501 Blues double buckles. She hasn't had problems breaking them in and they're in good condition still.

DD has US Glove double buckles. She adjusted to them quickly and loves them - we just bought her first backup pair. It took awhile to be able to buckle them quickly, but it's ok now.

You never go up a size, always down. Grips stretch and generally it's time for a new pair before the hands grow. It's dangerous to have oversized grips.

What about when you're just about in-between sizes? DD's original pair is size 00. They're a year old. The size just says 5-5/8". DD currently measures almost exactly 5-5/8". As this is a backup pair (current pair still reportedly in good shape), I ordered the next size (0 - haven't received them yet). I assumed then that size 0 would be between the 5-5/8" and 6.0", but now I worry those are starting measurements, not ending.

DD says she thinks her current grips are getting smallish. She can't open her hand (I've read that's ideal) at the start of practice, but she can towards the end. I'm thinking I should maybe order the 00's instead, and send the 0's back?

She can't open her hand (I've read that's ideal) at the start of practice, but she can towards the end. I'm thinking I should maybe order the 00's instead, and send the 0's back?
NOOOOO!!!!! You should not be able to fully open your hand, that is very dangerous.

Thank you everyone! Has anyone tried the reisport double buckles?

Thank you everyone! Has anyone tried the reisport double buckles?
Probably different, but my son uses the Reisport double buckle high bar grips and loves them so far. They will be his backups as soon as he gets his Hambuchen's broken in, but he got them on the 9th and they are ready to go today!

It sounds like you ordered too big of a size. As far as them "changing size" during workout, are the holes slipping down on her fingers?

If you order from the Ten.o blues collection, get a size 1 not a 2! My hands are the same size as yours 6.5 inches, I ordered a pair of size 2 non dowels that are a bit long. Though as they aren't dowels and I haven't had any issues I don't think I'm at risk. If I feel like I'm going to peel off the bar when I learn tap swings etc. I will definitely order a size smaller! (The most dangerous bar skill I'm doing is a BHC, I'm about to start at a new gym so I'll probably figure out if I need smaller grips then)

I was always able to fully open my hand while wearing grips, I never had a problem in the 4 years I wore them
I'm not sure about it from personal experience.... but I've heard Dunno and other coaches say it.

It sounds like you ordered too big of a size. As far as them "changing size" during workout, are the holes slipping down on her fingers?

Thanks for this! I asked DD whether the holes slip down and she said, "Yeah... Sort of. Sometimes."

She was fitted into size 00's (smallest size... Gym stocked them) a year ago by a former coach. Is it possible they've stretched over time + stretch at practice? Think it's possible a new pair of 00's might work (this gym doesn't stock/fit them)?

I asked her to ask her main bars coach to check if she has the opportunity. Today wasn't a good day for it, apparently (optional states this weekend). :)

The leather does stretch over time, so this is very possible!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back