Parents GRRRRR!!!! OT the VET!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I've taken my dog to the same animal hospital for 7 years. My friend was a doc there and moved away last year. We have decided to stay overnight for Level 5 States this weekend so my sister can come. That leaves the problem of the dog (who is unable to let himself in and out of the house, feed himself or is trustworthy to be responsible and care for himself properly (silly, needy, labrador).

He was there in the summer for a broken canine (no pun intended). While he was there the vet (who I couldn't stand) gave him a crummy assessment (I'm a nurse, I assess people everyday and I know a crummy assessment when I see one) and gave him his shots that were due.

So today, I call 'cause he needs Kennel Cough and K9 influenze vaxes in order to board. They tell me he hasn't had an exam since 2009 'cause when I took him in the summer of 2010, that was a sick visit. So now, they want me to bring him in for an exam (and take more money from me) and then they'll give him the 2 shots.

My kid does gymnastics! I can't pay a full vet visit, boarding, vaxes, and Level 5 States in one weekend. I'm waiting for them to call me back 'cause the vet was in appointment.

I am maintaining that he was examined so they should just give him his darn shots. I think it is time to switch when he is do for his next annual... oh wait a minute, according to them he is LONG overdue! GRRRRR!!!

I am anti-vet right now too. My dog (also a crazy, co-dependent lab) had a molar pulled yesterday. They just try and soak you for every penny possible. $100 bloodwork, $50 fecal sample etc. She had the tooth pulled, teeth cleaned and a sealant put on a canine she broke a few years ago. $450!!!! I think I see a new career for my dd, she wants to be a pediatrician, but this seems more lucrative!

Well... if you brought him with you, we could take him home with us after Kathy's Saturday session, and he could spend Sunday playing with our labradoodle... but then you'd have to go home by way of our house, which is in the opposite direction. The teenager may be the easier solution... maybe an older girl on the team?

I am anti-vet right now too. My dog . . . She had the tooth pulled, teeth cleaned and a sealant put on a canine she broke a few years ago. $450!!!!

I have no idea what my dentist would charge to pull one of my teeth, clean the rest, and apply a sealant.

We've had great luck with pet sitters who come to our house. The one we currently use charges only $22.00 per visit, because we have 2 cats and 2 dogs, and comes 3 times a day (only because I don't trust that my dogs could make it on only two potty breaks a day). They do pretty much whatever you need, litter boxes, walking feeding and playtime. You should google some in your area with good recommendations or ask around. Either way for us $66/day is cheaper than taking even one of our dogs to board overnight! Good luck :)

Ouch. That's a lot to pay for at one time. We are fortunate enough to have a do it yourself low cost vaccine place nearby. It's overseen by a vet and twice a week when he is there, he will do the shots for a slightly higher cost. The staff gives us the vaccine and we do the dirty work. Maybe they have something similar where you are.

I am purely complaining about paying $450. It definitely needed to be done and they did a great job. However, putting on $450 on a random day for an unplanned expense hurts!

Like others said, I would see if there is a spay/neuter clinic near you. They will normally do routine things like vaccinations and prescribing flea/tick prevention and such for nominal fees. Usually, you don't need an appointment, either, you just show up during the clinic hours for shots. Good luck with States and with your pooch!! :)

I am purely complaining about paying $450. It definitely needed to be done and they did a great job. However, putting on $450 on a random day for an unplanned expense hurts!

I hear you, the ball joint went on my car this morning and I have to fix it this minute so I can leave on a 12 hour road trip to sectionals! That bill is going to hurt right before 3 nights in a hotel!

Well... if you brought him with you, we could take him home with us after Kathy's Saturday session, and he could spend Sunday playing with our labradoodle... but then you'd have to go home by way of our house, which is in the opposite direction. The teenager may be the easier solution... maybe an older girl on the team?

Very sweet of you to offer, but he doesn't get along with other dogs, although he likes our cat just find... go figure!

Good and bad news, we no longer need to stay the night before. But, my sister can't make it. My little one is sad but understanding about that. The meet is 2.5 hours from us, but 4.5 hours for her. So now we will leave Sunday morning and come back Sunday night. Thanks everyone for feeling my pain.

Just wanted to emphasize, my problem is not with what vets charge. I'm a nurse and medicine is very expensive and they use many of the same expensive drugs (i.e. anesthesia) on dogs and cats. My problem is with the vet being unreasonable, needing me to bring him in for a visit and be charged for an exam when he was there 8 months ago. Turns out he doesn't even need bordatella as he's current on that. Could you see us all taking our kids for a physical before they get the flu shot when it hadn't even been a year since their last visit. Just rubbed me the wrong way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back