WAG Guinea Pigs for D1?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD and 5 of her teammates are on-track for L10 freshman year. They are hard workers and have D1 hopes. Problem is... in the 20 years our gym has been open, they have never had a gymnast make it that far. Some L10’s have gone on to D2 or D3.

I asked HC why not D1 and she said, “No one has ever wanted to compete at that level.”

So my question is... should we have confidence that our coaches can get our girls there skill-wise (assuming they stay in it and stay healthy)?

This is the best gym in our area and re-locating is not an option.
Once upon a time every Gym in the nation was in the same boat . :)

Good to know. Do they drop down ever to go to nationals ?
their coach has to petition to drop back, and there has to be a good reason. They must petition 3 weeks before the state meet. They have to qualify to state meet just like the other 10s, so they have to qualify before the deadline. Then they would have to finish top 7 at Regionals to go to JO Nationals. If they petition back, they have to not compete elite for an entire elite competitive year if they decide they want to go back on that path.

No, you cannot do both elite AND JO, but yes, you can petition back to JO after you become an elite. In 2019 Lily will be competing JO level 10 and trying to qualify as a junior elite, she will be able to compete in JO level 10 meets and will do the elite qualifier meets in the hopes of making it to one of the classic meets. If she makes it to a classic meet and competes at a classic meet as a junior elite then her time as a JO gymnast will be over.

Why? Isn't Elena Arenas dropping back down to level after competing the American Classic and getting a verbal from LSU? I am pretty sure there was another girl from Georgia as well who did this.

WE are in the toughest region (1).. so we see lots of young girls in those levels.

So, once you qualify as elite you can't compete JO? I never thought about that really!

Not a personal attack, just a statement of clarification. The 2 quotes above from the same person show a lack of knowledge that should provide doubt on the validity of the first statement.

There is not a best/toughest region. It will vary from year to year and age group to age group.
However, it is ridiculous that some regions have girls who don't qualify for nationals who are clearly(by scores) much more talented than the majority of girls from other regions who do qualify.

There is not a best/toughest region. It will vary from year to year and age group to age group.
However, it is ridiculous that some regions have girls who don't qualify for nationals who are clearly(by scores) much more talented than the majority of girls from other regions who do qualify.

Totally agree about the region. The regions all appear to have at least one or two states with strong gyms. Could she have meant states? Because I would totally agree that some states are much much tougher than others. Our state is notoriously weak. We have few level 10s to begin with. It’s pretty easy to make it to regionals for level 9 or 10 with a 35 or even 34. Getting to nationals is a different matter though.

Why? Isn't Elena Arenas dropping back down to level after competing the American Classic and getting a verbal from LSU? I am pretty sure there was another girl from Georgia as well who did this.

I think Megan Skaggs did this too and then went to the University of Florida.

Totally agree about the region. The regions all appear to have at least one or two states with strong gyms. Could she have meant states? Because I would totally agree that some states are much much tougher than others. Our state is notoriously weak. We have few level 10s to begin with. It’s pretty easy to make it to regionals for level 9 or 10 with a 35 or even 34. Getting to nationals is a different matter though.

It's not a big deal and really doesn't matter what people think. I just prefer not to let broad (incorrect/judgement) statements like that go unanswered.

I agree it can vary significantly between states within a region.

Not a personal attack, just a statement of clarification. The 2 quotes above from the same person show a lack of knowledge that should provide doubt on the validity of the first statement.

How do girls who’s scores are higher than others not make it to regionals when those girls who scored lower did. Is it because they did not compete ?

It's not a big deal and really doesn't matter what people think. I just prefer not to let broad (incorrect/judgement) statements like that go unanswered.

I agree it can vary significantly between states within a region.
Right. It’s just insane to me that lower scores would qualify for regionals in a weak state, but then in a state with tons of good gyms, a mid 37 might not make it to regionals. And if they don’t make it to regionals, then they have no chance of going to nationals, right? Or could they petition? I really have no idea how all of this works.

How do girls who’s scores are higher than others not make it to regionals when those girls who scored lower did. Is it because they did not compete ?

I was referring to qualifying for JO nationals. There's a lengthy thread about it that explores every possible perspective. Just search for it.

The quick answer is it would be because they competed in different Regional meets to qualify to JO Nationals..

It was me.. And how on earth do the statements provide doubt on the validity of the statements? https://www.flogymnastics.com/articles/5051091-breaking-down-the-top-regions-of-the-jo-rankings
Here is one link to regional rankings.... So yes there are top regions and YES my child is in that top region...
And not knowing if and elite can compete as JO? how is that questionable?

This....100%! Thank you gasrgoose!!!

No, I did not mean State. I meant exactly what i wrote.. that many girls with higher scores DO NOT make it to Westerns/Easterns or Nationals due to their age division scores. The top say 7 gymnast in each age division make it.. So say the 8th girls score is a 37.5 in Jr A.. and the top score in Jr B is a 37 the top 7 girls in JR B go NOT the 8th placed 37.5 in JR A... So no I am not mistaken by what i wrote.

It was me.. And how on earth do the statements provide doubt on the validity of the statements? https://www.flogymnastics.com/articles/5051091-breaking-down-the-top-regions-of-the-jo-rankings
Here is one link to regional rankings.... So yes there are top regions and YES my child is in that top region...
And not knowing if and elite can compete as JO? how is that questionable?

This article states 2016 pre-JO rankings, and reflects the opinion of the person who wrote it, not fact. How does this prove Region 1 IS the best?

Look up to see who won nationals ... that will be your answer

I was there so I know who won. But thanks for the suggestion. I think you may be missing my point...I have 12+ years as a competitive gym mom with multiple level 10s. Been to JOs 6 times already and hopefully counting.... These rankings change year to year. Best wishes to your daughter in her pursuits in this sport. It's a long haul, trust me...

-signed the mother of a child who was at one time a 10 year old level 9.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back