WAG Guinea Pigs for D1?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is tougher to advance from a Region where there are 250 gymnasts competing for 84 spots than from a Region where there are 150 gymnasts competing for 84 spots.

There is an actual team competition at JO's between the regions. Region 1 won this year, and last, and the year before that in a tie with Region 3. Other Regions have won in the past, some regions have never won.

There are individual excellent gymnasts and programs in every Region and every state. And nothing about level 10 is "easy" in any way. But to say Region 1 is currently the strongest, or that some Regions are "tougher" than others is really not opinion, it's math.

I think a lot of parents, athletes and sometimes coaches (in all sports) don’t realize how hard it is to get a full athletic scholarship to college - why do you think that in all sports, signing day is such a big deal? I also think that people underestimate the work required not only to get there, but then to thrive/be successful at that level. It goes way beyond physical talent, and I think the psychological side is often not considered - I’ve seen amazingly talented athletes (not only gymnastics) get full rides and eventually quit the sport/leave school/etc., because while they had the physical talent, they could not handle the psychological stresses, the pressure, the responsibility. Or they went from being “the best” on their HS/club team, to middle of the pack or one of the best on a college team - sometimes that is hard to handle.

Whatever sport your child is in - enjoy the ride, it’s a long road to college, and there are so many other goals/milestones along the way. It sounds like your daughter is at a gym you are comfortable with, and even though they haven’t had any D1 athletes, they HAVE had girls go on to compete at the NCAA level and that is huge - they seem to have a plan, and hopefully all 5 of those girls will not only stay in the sport, but be successful and achieve their goals of getting to compete in college. But if things change, and they don’t get that scholarship, I hope that they learned something from being in a competitive sport and that they can look back and realize that they were successful even without meeting that ultimate goal.

I was there so I know who won. But thanks for the suggestion. I think you may be missing my point...I have 12+ years as a competitive gym mom with multiple level 10s. Been to JOs 6 times already and hopefully counting.... These rankings change year to year. Best wishes to your daughter in her pursuits in this sport. It's a long haul, trust me...

-signed the mother of a child who was at one time a 10 year old level 9.
Not exactly sure what the animosity is from ... as i stated the fact that Region 1 is the top Region. I don't see the issue with that. And I never stated that the rankings change? Do you recall seeing that? If so it wasn't written by me. Kudos to you for being a 12+ year competitive gym mom, that in no way gives you the right to jump down my throat for simply stating the truth. I said that some girls do not go to national competitions due to the way that the rules are set up.. I am aware that this sport is a long haul and treat it as such.

DD and 5 of her teammates are on-track for L10 freshman year. They are hard workers and have D1 hopes. Problem is... in the 20 years our gym has been open, they have never had a gymnast make it that far. Some L10’s have gone on to D2 or D3.

I asked HC why not D1 and she said, “No one has ever wanted to compete at that level.”

So my question is... should we have confidence that our coaches can get our girls there skill-wise (assuming they stay in it and stay healthy)?

This is the best gym in our area and re-locating is not an option.

If this is the best gym in your area and re-locating is not an option, then you may not have a choice but to stay put and have confidence in your coaches. Keeping open communication with the coaches will be key in making sure that she stays on track. Once she hits level 10 and begins competing, you will have a pretty good idea of where she stands skill-wise and score-wise in her age group. That will give you a better indication of whether or not your coaches can get them there skill-wise. Also, attending recruiting camps is a great way to see where she stands as far as D1 in concerned. Your daughter will likely be able to tell you if the coaches are capable or not. Also keep in mind, D2 and D3 can be challenging and fulfilling ways to continue gymnastics in college, with these programs on the rise difficulty wise!

It was me.. And how on earth do the statements provide doubt on the validity of the statements? https://www.flogymnastics.com/articles/5051091-breaking-down-the-top-regions-of-the-jo-rankings
Here is one link to regional rankings.... So yes there are top regions and YES my child is in that top region...
And not knowing if and elite can compete as JO? how is that questionable?

You did not know that an Elite gymnast can't compete against a level 10 gymnasts which is fine. But it shows you don't have a very deep or educated knowledge of gymnastics. Your post stating emphatically that region 1 is the toughest also shows an immature perspective of the sport. You reference an article as proof of your opinion. It is not proof it is anohter opinion. http://www.jonationals.com/results/ according to the 2018 JO National results Region 1 was 2nd in Junior A, 4th in Junior B, 5th in Junior C, 2nd in Junior D, 5th in Junior E, 1st in Junior F, 4th in Senior A, 2nd in Senior B, 2nd in Senior C, 3rd in Senior D, 1st in Senior E, 3rd in Senior F. Clearly a very strong region, but Region 3 won Junior A, B & C. In my opinion, region 3 was clearly the best last year.

Again it's not a big deal, but you seem to lack the understanding that you are stating an opinion not a fact. All your posts seem very immature. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and success.

It is tougher to advance from a Region where there are 250 gymnasts competing for 84 spots than from a Region where there are 150 gymnasts competing for 84 spots.

There is an actual team competition at JO's between the regions. Region 1 won this year, and last, and the year before that in a tie with Region 3. Other Regions have won in the past, some regions have never won.

There are individual excellent gymnasts and programs in every Region and every state. And nothing about level 10 is "easy" in any way. But to say Region 1 is currently the strongest, or that some Regions are "tougher" than others is really not opinion, it's math.
Thank you .. my goodness. I am so confused by how this thread went wacky so fast. It is a fact and i stated the fact and go attacked for doing so. .. oh well.. I guess some with "more years" experience in the sport see it a different way? LOL...

Not exactly sure what the animosity is from ... as i stated the fact that Region 1 is the top Region. I don't see the issue with that. And I never stated that the rankings change? Do you recall seeing that? If so it wasn't written by me. Kudos to you for being a 12+ year competitive gym mom, that in no way gives you the right to jump down my throat for simply stating the truth. I said that some girls do not go to national competitions due to the way that the rules are set up.. I am aware that this sport is a long haul and treat it as such.

I don't understand where you see animosity and I don't appreciate your tone.

You did not know that an Elite gymnast can't compete against a level 10 gymnasts which is fine. But it shows you don't have a very deep or educated knowledge of gymnastics. Your post stating emphatically that region 1 is the toughest also shows an immature perspective of the sport. You reference an article as proof of your opinion. It is not proof it is anohter opinion. http://www.jonationals.com/results/ according to the 2018 JO National results Region 1 was 2nd in Junior A, 4th in Junior B, 5th in Junior C, 2nd in Junior D, 5th in Junior E, 1st in Junior F, 4th in Senior A, 2nd in Senior B, 2nd in Senior C, 3rd in Senior D, 1st in Senior E, 3rd in Senior F. Clearly a very strong region, but Region 3 won Junior A, B & C. In my opinion, region 3 was clearly the best last year.

Again it's not a big deal, but you seem to lack the understanding that you are stating an opinion not a fact. All your posts seem very immature. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and success.
What? So, my daughter is currently training to be and Elite .. She is NOT and Elite.. so therefore NO i do not know all the ins and outs of how the Elite world goes. So no sorry that i don't have a "deep or educated knowledge" of how Elite gymnastics goes.. I would say that MOST do not. And congrats to you if you have a your doctorate in Elite level gymnastics. As fas as an immature perspective of the sport.. It is a FACT that Region 1 is the top Region and has been for at least the past 2-3 years. So if a child didn't win 1st place in every event but still Won 1st AA.. that means that they really didn't because another girl may have won 1st place in an event? Sorry doesn't work that way.

I was there so I know who won. But thanks for the suggestion. I think you may be missing my point...I have 12+ years as a competitive gym mom with multiple level 10s. Been to JOs 6 times already and hopefully counting.... These rankings change year to year. Best wishes to your daughter in her pursuits in this sport. It's a long haul, trust me...

-signed the mother of a child who was at one time a 10 year old level 9.
Sorry but this sound snarky ... and like and attack. and the whole part about -signed by the mother of a child who was one time a 10 year old level 9? okay?

I am thinking this is directed at me, so I will respond :)

I hear you loud and clear. Our Region had over 280 compete in 2018. It's crazy!

We have been to JOs more than once, so I do understand how the Region competition and super teams work. It is indisputable that Region 1 is VERY strong and has won JOs the past several years. I watched them compete and these wins were well earned! My daughters have close friends from Region 1 who are OUTSTANDING competitors!!!

I agree currently Region 1 is the strongest currently. The part that I was saying was opinion was flicfliclay siting an article on Flo from 2016 PRE-JOs and stating that was proof that Region 1 was the best region. I was simply pointing out that this wasn't current info or proof and also that the toughest region and age groups can change year to year :)

Why? Isn't Elena Arenas dropping back down to level after competing the American Classic and getting a verbal from LSU? I am pretty sure there was another girl from Georgia as well who did this.
She did not compete this summer, she competed last summer. She petitioned back to level 10 in February. She committed to LSU a couple of years ago.

She did not compete this summer, she competed last summer. She petitioned back to level 10 in February. She committed to LSU a couple of years ago.

But doesn't that mean that you can indeed compete in a Classic and then decided to go back to Level 10? Seems like some people tire of, or are not as successful as they want to be in elite gymnastics and then return to Level 10. It's not a done deal. I know that I was at a meet where Megan Skaggs competed level 10 after she had already been an elite gymnast.

I am thinking this is directed at me, so I will respond :)

I hear you loud and clear. Our Region had over 280 compete in 2018. It's crazy!

We have been to JOs more than once, so I do understand how the Region competition and super teams work. It is indisputable that Region 1 is VERY strong and has won JOs the past several years. I watched them compete and these wins were well earned! My daughters have close friends from Region 1 who are OUTSTANDING competitors!!!

I agree currently Region 1 is the strongest currently. The part that I was saying was opinion was flicfliclay siting an article on Flo from 2016 PRE-JOs and stating that was proof that Region 1 was the best region. I was simply pointing out that this wasn't current info or proof and also that the toughest region and age groups can change year to year :)
Please note that i never said that the the Region Titles don't change. The article i posted was just and example as that Region 1 has and are the current title holders. That is it.

Oh never would I think that. EVER. Although i am sure there are those people that think that! I have told my daughter to buckle up because you will be competing against girls now that are several years older than you.. Now its all about the skills and performance. Age is not something you even want to think about.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but yes.........sometimes a kid might be from a strong region (heck, even a region with one super strong GYM) and won't be able to make it to Nationals because there are 7 kids in that age group at regionals scoring 38+. In weaker regions without those gyms that have a ton of amazing level 10s, it is probably easier to qualify to nationals. Once you're there though--the competition is equal, of course.

It's not a dig towards the weaker regions, it's just a more of a "that's tough" kind of thing for the stronger regions.

My daughter competed in a North Dallas "district" when she was in the youngest age group possible. Even at the lower levels, it was hard to compete against those top gyms. I think she placed 11th once with a 9.675. It just is what it is.

This is Sooooo true....my daughter's teammate wonLevel 9 Easterns as an 11yo (7th grader, Jr A) and then next year won Level 10 JO Nationals as a 12 yo (8th grader, Jr A) , went to VISA Championships (as they were called back then) that summer and was on the podium .....and her folks thought she was going to the Olympics or at least a college scholarship (because middle schoolers weren't committing back then).....fast forward to her Sophomore year in high school and she quits gymnastics as she didn't want to do elite any more and her parents and coach wanted her to.....she came back after 6 months off for about a month, had a ton of fears but still managed to win the meet she competed with a 38.5! But the next week , she was done for good and never did gymnastics again despite huge raw talent.

The sad part of this was not only did she NOT get a gymnastics scholarship, she only took a few community college classes and last we heard was a cashier somewhere....so even though she was a successful young level 10, things can and do change and gymnastics might not always be the vehicle to college people think.

I think that @bookworm story is what every parent should take away from this thread. We can, at best, gently steer our children in our preferred path in life, but ultimately they are living their own lives. We should do our best to enjoy life with them and follow along on their journey and never attempt to live our own missed opportunity through them. It is hard as a parent to feel that we see our children missing life's best opportunities to feel they are ignoring their calling but consequences are things best learned through failure.

DD and 5 of her teammates are on-track for L10 freshman year. They are hard workers and have D1 hopes. Problem is... in the 20 years our gym has been open, they have never had a gymnast make it that far. Some L10’s have gone on to D2 or D3.

I asked HC why not D1 and she said, “No one has ever wanted to compete at that level.”

So my question is... should we have confidence that our coaches can get our girls there skill-wise (assuming they stay in it and stay healthy)?

This is the best gym in our area and re-locating is not an option.

Save money and send her to all the college gym camps you can. Tell her to have a great attitude and do her best there--talk to the coaches and try to get them to remember her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back