gymmombraun

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I do a jump to middle splits. It looks pretty and is simple if you have your splits all the way down. My friend does a stag jump on to a scale.

My dd does the press to handstand, which seems to be getting very popular! She does it from the end of the beam, although a lot of girls do it from the middle of the beam.....

Lisa

Just curious, how does the coach(es) fit in the creation of the routine?

I was wondering that too--at our gym the coaches pretty much decide the routine--based on what the gymnast can do, of course. All our level 7s have the same basic routine--same mount, same turns etc., just vary in the series. The mount wasn't anything spectacular--basically swung a leg over the beam to straddle it. Our coach didn't believe in putting more in the routine than you needed, since it was just a way to get deductions--you didn't get anything more for it.

At our gym the coaches will make up the routines, but the girls can add in their own moves, including the mount. Some girls change their routines constantly. As long as they fit the time, and aren't inappropriate moves, anything goes. The actual jumps and skills are whatever is required for the level. I have never seen a routine without some dance/poses and that is what the girls get to play with.

From a judging standpoint, the best mounts for Level 7s are ones that they don't have a chance of falling or wobbling on, as their two B's in their routine are usually their backhandspring or other flight skill (in whatever series they do or isolated) and their split jump. So, no need to turn the mount into something hard at that level, because it only results in deductions, since we don't have any composition deductions to utilize until L8.

I see a ton of press handstands from L8 up, but not so many at L7.

There are many ways to vary the look and feel of a routine (including the mount) without getting too fancy or too deduction prone. Creativity applies here I suppose.

Nonetheless, our core routines are all different and are always done by one of our gym's choreographers (typically one of the coaches or veteran high level gymnasts). The gymnasts then negotiate minor tweaks either at or just prior to a meet based on their mood or ability at the time.

I kinda did what flipandtwist said, but I jump into a straddle on the beam and then twist into my good leg splits on the beam. It takes a bit of practice and it's tricky to get out of, but I had it down pretty consistently and I'm not the usual tiny muscular ubertalented or coordindated gymnast.

At our gym the gym has a floor and beam chorographer that comes in with all the routines for the girls. They work with the girls and go through the routine and the girls have some input and can say things like I don't like that move can we change it and they will but the majority are done by the chorographer. Our beam the coaches put together again with some input by the girls as to what skill happens when. and vault is you can do this one or that one.

Does your child need to make it up all by themselves?

KEEP IT SIMPLE!!! In level 7, your safest bet is to just get on the beam without the risk of falling. A mount similar to the L6 routine is fine, so is a straight jump up, or even just front support, swing your leg over, stand up. As a judge, we're not looking for anything fancy in this level. In fact, even some of the best L10 routines start with a simple front support, swing leg over, stand up, followed by something cool.
I wouldn't worry too much about it-- just get on that beam, then do something pretty. :)
Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back