WAG Gymnastics Injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Splat

Coach
Gymnast
I'm currently working on a research paper about gymnastics injuries. The main injuries I plan on focusing on are, wrist sprains, Achilles tendon injuries, ACL injuries, and Spondylolysis. If you or your gymnast have experienced any of these please put your story below or if you know of any other common injuries. Thank you in advance.

I broke my wrist in two places (including the growth plate), had two grade 2 ankle sprains, ankle and wrist instability, 5th metatarsal fracture, trouble with tibia and fibula separating too much on receptions... I can answer your questions if you want, just tell me what information you want to have. I'm very lucky not to have any problem or pain today, apart from probably a little osteoarthritis in one of my foot.

I had/have spondylolysis, more specifically a disk bulge which caused damaged nerves in my leg. I was diagnosed in 2013 and still deal with it to this day. I would love to tell you anything about it that you would like to know.

Just girls? Or boys too? Ds has had wrist and achilles issues

My YDD has sprained each of her wrists once and also had a bowing fracture to her arm. All happened while doing BHSs on a rod floor.

She has also sprained an ankle three times and a foot once. The ankle/foot injuries were not caused by gym, but rather by: dance, walking in heels, walking off a rod floor, and soccer.

She just has injury prone joints. She's been doing home wrist PT for years now and recently started tumbling again after over a year off of tumbling completely. No pain whatsoever. She always had pain before due to a structural abnormality in her wrist, and fought to wear tiger paws with a coach that didn't believe in using them pre-injury.

I'm currently working on a research paper about gymnastics injuries. The main injuries I plan on focusing on are, wrist sprains, Achilles tendon injuries, ACL injuries, and Spondylolysis. If you or your gymnast have experienced any of these please put your story below or if you know of any other common injuries. Thank you in advance.

One thing you can talk about is growth plate injuries. Knee, heel, wrist etc. Ds had Osgood Schlatter. For him it was almost a year of pain. Pretty severe pain at first. Definitely limited his tumbling and vaulting a lot for a few months.

My ds also got a severe ankle sprain while tumbling as a level 6. Twice a week physical therapy that also addressed some core instability he had. Slowly worked back to landings, vault and tumbling. Back to all 6 events in about 6 weeks time. No long-term issues.

One thing you can talk about is growth plate injuries. Knee, heel, wrist etc. Ds had Osgood Schlatter. For him it was almost a year of pain. Pretty severe pain at first. Definitely limited his tumbling and vaulting a lot for a few months.

My ds also got a severe ankle sprain while tumbling as a level 6. Twice a week physical therapy that also addressed some core instability he had. Slowly worked back to landings, vault and tumbling. Back to all 6 events in about 6 weeks time. No long-term issues.

Ouch!
Possibly consider Severs too. All of my girls battled severs pain on and off for years.

Yes! My YDD had Severs and my ODD (who has never had an actual injury) dealt with Osgood Schlatter. Both seem very common in gymnastics.

Reactions: sce
Thank you all for the help so far. I would love to hear more about Severs and Osgood schlatter.

Ouch!
Possibly consider Severs too. All of my girls battled severs pain on and off for years.
Yes, in the growth plate category. Forgot to talk about my dd. She suffered from Severs. Definitely was worse if her Achilles and calf were tight. It flared with growth spurts, was on and off for at least a year. She has quit gym now, so not sure if she would have continued dealing with it, she is sill growing.

Tendinitis of various nature from overuse/growing. My DD has suffered a few bouts of tendinitis, including her achilles.

Lots of finger breaks. Thankfully not my DD (knock wood), but it seems like there is always someone we know with a broken finger! That or someone just getting over one.

I broke or otherwise injured my 5th metatarsal twice...on each foot. Four total! My ankles tend to buckle inwards, which was the cause of it (despite quite a bit of ankle strengthening exercises). I think all of those injuries happened when I was pretty fatigued, which makes it worse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back