Gymnastics video stuff

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I got approached today by someone in the process of making gym video about how we do things at our gym. There are a lot of considerations and fine tuning going on, so it's a month away at best. My part in this is to show aspects of girls developmental training. What are people interested in seeing? Conditioning? Dance? Stretching? Skills and drills, and if so, which apparatus? I know what I do isn't new, but I'd like to at least make it interesting!

What would the purpose of the video be? What did that person want to do with the final result? PR for your gym? A Documentry on gymnastics?

What I would want to see would depend on the purpose.

What would the purpose of the video be? What did that person want to do with the final result? PR for your gym? A Documentry on gymnastics?

What I would want to see would depend on the purpose.

It's about how we train, and favorite drills/emphasis points at different levels is the gist I got. It was a pretty cursory heads up since it's in planning stages still. I think PR would safely describe it from what I heard.

if it's someone from the media...stay clear!

Oh no, no no no. All internal! I am by no means an elite coach, but I know enough to have some interesting post meet media scary stories/avoidance tactics! You wear the right (wrong?) gym sweatshirt heading out of a big meet for dinner or whatever and LOL

i'd like to see beam and bar skills i think because they are often the most difficult events too gymnasts :)

I would love to see why body shapes are learned, why they are so imporant and where they lead to. Also stressing the importance of great basic skills, and how the perfection at the devo level leads to greater success all down the gym road. It would be interesting to watch if you could show how all the elements, the dance, conditioning etc all fit together to produce the L4 gymnast that your club looks for and how the more senior coaches give you input with that.

Perhaps also why a certain child is a better for for your devo programme that other children.

I can definitely do bars. They started out afraid of the uneven bars so we spent a lot of time doing non scary drills and conditioning to help them adapt. My group is very young, so most don't even have a year of practice under their belts when I find them. I have to break things down into very very small parts, sometimes for a very long time. What the girls can do, they do very well, but I shape TONS and add skills slowly.

Beam we've actually just started seriously. They can do backwards rolls, some even to a pike. Lots of drills and movements designed purely to teach them the feel of being square. The finer points such as releve and how to walk in it, arms, and fingers were trained on a strip of tape by the mirrors and the ballet barre. We didn't even start handstands until very recently on beam, I waited until they could show me a consistent step forward and scale into it on floor. It's all very basic, and some is still in the drill phase. Not new drills either, what I do I learned from my coaches and coworkers over the years. My level is all about confidence building, slowness and shaping. So narrowing it down to points of actual interest would be helpful.

I would love to see why body shapes are learned, why they are so imporant and where they lead to. Also stressing the importance of great basic skills, and how the perfection at the devo level leads to greater success all down the gym road. It would be interesting to watch if you could show how all the elements, the dance, conditioning etc all fit together to produce the L4 gymnast that your club looks for and how the more senior coaches give you input with that.

Perhaps also why a certain child is a better for for your devo programme that other children.

Perfect! I can do that, thank you! There's going to be an 'interview' part so now I have a guideline of things to talk about. I just don't want to stutter through and come across as unorganized or sloppy. Usually when the video camera is around me, I'm being silly, so serious will take some prep.

Hmm, Sure I just posted a reply but it didn't show up!

Anyway, my reply went something like this:

I'd like to see/hear how gymnasts are selected for the development programme - How talent ID is done at your gym etc.
I'd like to see exactly what kind of skills/basics gymnasts would be expected to learn at this level (I'd bet parents wouldn't expect so much time to be spent on progressions - They just want to know why their susie isn't learning to kip! lol
What sort of conditioning is required at this level - what, how much and how often.
The level of attendance expected and the physical commitment required.

I think it will be a really interesting video! I'd love to do something similar myself for our gym in the future - would be good to have playing in our parent's viewing gallery/waiting room when we eventually have one!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back