Gyms in Germany?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All,

It's been awhile since I have been on here, but I have a dear friend that may be moving to Germany and she has a daughter that is a level seven with my Emma. Her husband has a great job opportunity in Ramstien. They are very excited to go, however they are worried about their daughters gymnastics. She is a VERY talented little girl, and they want to see if she can continue with gymnastics in a competitive setting. If anyone knows of a way for her to find out about gyms, without being able to speak German, please let us know. I told her this is the place to ask! You all are great!

Thanks,
Shari

Hey! I wrote an E-mail to the German Gymnastics Network (dont know the right word in english). Ill pm you as soon as they answer ;)

Hi All,

It's been awhile since I have been on here, but I have a dear friend that may be moving to Germany and she has a daughter that is a level seven with my Emma. Her husband has a great job opportunity in Ramstien. They are very excited to go, however they are worried about their daughters gymnastics. She is a VERY talented little girl, and they want to see if she can continue with gymnastics in a competitive setting. If anyone knows of a way for her to find out about gyms, without being able to speak German, please let us know. I told her this is the place to ask! You all are great!

Thanks,
Shari

Well, the area they're in is not a bad area for gymnastics in Germany. It depends on how far you want to travel though.

Mannheim & Karlsruhe might just be a bit too far away but are probably the best gyms in the country (Eli Seitz from Mannheim made bars final at European Champs, Desiree Baumert from Karlsruhe made floor finals at Junior Euros). Checking google maps it might be possible though, as the Infrastructure is decent. Lots of highways round there (but still really pretty landscape!!!!!), so it's very easy to get anywhere.
If it's possible, I'd go to Mannheim (tg-mannheim.de / I think). They're absolutely great! but if not, as I said, it's not a bad gymn area.

Last edited:
Ramstien to Mannheim not too far. Ramstein to Karlsruhe, far in my opinion. Also there is a large American population in Kaiserslautern near Ramstein. Not so much in Karlsruhe since the bases all shut down.

I spent 1.5 yrs in Karlsruhe and 2 years in Mannheim.

Ramstien to Mannheim not too far. Ramstein to Karlsruhe, far in my opinion. Also there is a large American population in Kaiserslautern near Ramstein. Not so much in Karlsruhe since the bases all shut down.

I spent 1.5 yrs in Karlsruhe and 2 years in Mannheim.

Yeah, checked the map again. Karlsruhe is too far and just not worth it as Mannheim is closer (and IMO better).

That said, there might be other, smaller gyms that are closer, but overall true gymnastics gyms (as in no setting up of equipment) are rare - those with pits even more so. So if that's what they want, try Mannheim to be safe.

Thank you, thank you! She is a new 11 year old. She really could be a level 8 or higher, has many of the skills already. She is just very close to the group of girls she is with and wanted to stay with them, when she really should/could have skipped level 6 as our gym wanted her to. I know the girls in Illinois that are her age level will rejoice if she moves. She is a wonderful little girl, as is her family. We will miss her very much. I will pass along all this information to her parents! I know they would be willing to drive a little. Thank you again! She is on youtube.... I believe it is camcolleen9......I think. She didn't start gymnastics until she was 8 years old. Thanks again! I knew that someone on this board would be able to help! Thanks guys!

So..

A coach at my gym is a former national coach for Germany and he had this to say:

If she is going to be going into the school system there, then she will be required to take gymnastics. If she shows an aptitude for it, they will single her out, and she will be invited to a gym.

(note: some language barriers may apply here)

He also said that the level system works a bit differently. They rank you based on AGE instead of LEVEL. That is, an 11yr old is expected to be able to do certain skills, and if they cant then they are not able to compete. This is different than in the US, where a 26yr old can compete level 4 and develop as they see fit.

I hope that helps - it would seem that if she wants to continue in competitive gymnastics, getting in touch with the school system is the best route. I wish her luck!

Ryan

Slightly OT, but she might want to have a few privates to learn how to swing on FIG. It might not be as big of a deal if she's short, but it was really hard for me, and I'm only 5'2".

By the way, do you know of any Berlin gyms that are open to uni students? I found a lot of possibilities, but I didn't get the impression that they were competitive programs. (Bonus points if it's a university team!)

Uh... any chance that German coach is from the east? Sounds like a very old fashioned system, which I've NEVER heard of. Just ring the club.

And yes, at least girls with elite potential are ranked by age. What they do is, they compete a compulsory programm up to the year they turn 11. However, unless she goes to Germany, like, right away I doubt she would get to compete that one, even if she might be able to. For her age vault is a tsuk (or handspring for a lower SV), Beam has a bhs-bhs, fhs, round off tuck dismount, switch leap; Floor: Full, Fhs-front lay-front tuck, ro-bhs-lay and some very difficult leaps and dance (pretty heavy on ballet), bars has a pirouette, clear hip hand, toe hecht to high, giant giant flyaway. So it's pretty much Level 8 routines, more or less. Most girls miss a requirement or two, though

For team competitions even the younger girls can compete optionals, though (which they do from age 12 onwards anyway). There's different systems, all being a modified FIG. I know Mannheim does that lots with its younger girls (well, they all do, but I've recently seen some pictures and their little ones are just reeeally good). If you get the chance to compete optionals, don't worry about missing requirements at that age and level. For the 12/13 age group nearly everyone misses some of them, even at nationals. There's a qualifying score - if you make it, go for it. It you don't think you can compete a level down --> "KM2" roughly similar to level 8. 2 Salto pass, twist, B dismount for floor. Beam has a flight series, leap series, B dismount, Bars has giants, half turn, flight, B dismount, vault has FIG Startvalues + 1,00. --> for team competitions other levels of the modified FIG might apply, but KM2 is what competed most for individuals who don't make FIG.

puh, that was lots. When would they move?

Gymkat: Just looked at the results sheets from Uni Champs: There was no Berlin UNi Team listed. Potsdam would be worth checking out as it's close and they compete regularly. THough maybe at a slightly lower level than what you had in München (just assuming here). Other than that, SC Berlin is probably your best bet, as it's the best club in Berlin.

me again;)

I should probably add that Germany has a league system for team competitions and while there are individual rankings for those as well (for higher leagues anyway) there's a seperate individual season in spring only (much shorter than a US season).

TG Mannheim II Photo Gallery by michiphoto at pbase.com

this is a link to Mannheim's second team where all the little ones compete (for the highest national leagues you need to be 12 in the year of competition)

Thanks again all. The family is taking this weekend to decide. I have not heard any other news on their final decision. On a selfish note, I'm crossing fingers and toes that it is a no go. I do know that the little girl is struggling with the decision to move and they are considering her feelings. I showed her all your helpful information. They are very appreciative and surprised by all the insight that you all could offer. I knew the CB would be the place to go for help. Thanks again. It means alot to them when you have to make such a scary decision for your child and not have access to any information.

Thank you!

Thanks!!

Just joined Chalk Bucket! Emma's mom asked the Germany gym questions on our behalf. Thanks to her and ALL of you who responded. You all gave us a wealth of info and can't thank you enough for taking the time to do so!! Still trying to make a decision about it all. But this certainly answered some important questions. :) And thanks "Emma's Mom" for the sweet comments you made about Cam!!! If we move, we are going to miss your family terribly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Just joined Chalk Bucket! Emma's mom asked the Germany gym questions on our behalf. Thanks to her and ALL of you who responded. You all gave us a wealth of info and can't thank you enough for taking the time to do so!! Still trying to make a decision about it all. But this certainly answered some important questions. :) And thanks "Emma's Mom" for the sweet comments you made about Cam!!! If we move, we are going to miss your family terribly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

mickey and ida will be sad...

WE will be sad too! She has learned everything from Mickey and Jenny! She spends so much time with them, they are like family.

What gym do you coach at?

I looked up your daughter's videos and she is great! Good luck - I hope if you move you can find a good program to join.

Welcome to CB! Good luck making the big decision. It's a huge opportunity, but scary. sending big }}HUGS{{

Yay! You are official! Listen, no one will be more sad then me....... not even Emma!:) Mickey, Jenny and I can all cry together! But, I know that Cam will be an awesome addition to any gym! We love you guys! Make room for house guests if you do decide to go! And as witnessed today with Delaney coming for a visit...... Cam will always fit right back in! Such a great group of girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back