Gyms profiting off team and required parent involvement? Business discussion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DUNNO

If a typo is what you came out with in my post I have no reply to dunno. You once again missed the entire meaning of my statement. FYI if that is ok to use, an opinion backed up by passion or the heart has no bearing in my argument!

No my statement is not wrong.. You will not be opened much longer if you are not making a profit. You will not be eating any food or buying clothes or gas for your car or paying for the bus or for your housing or for your phone etc.. See my point??? Any profit is a profit. It does not matter how it is used or what you want to call it your gym is making some profit big or small!!!!

okay barney66, you pulled the 'education card'. you have intimated that the majority here could not be as sophisticated business wise as you have a Masters Degree in Business. therefore, the majority here must be dense cause they don't see it your way. you are presumptuous because you came on here...about a minute ago...without learning who everyone is and what degrees they may hold which include Medical, Law and other varying Professional/PhD degrees.

so then, i will pull the 'age card'. i will be presumptuous and make an educated guess that i got at least 20 years on you. i've already raised a family and lived most of the life than i'm going to live ahead of me. i'm as close to that 6 foot hole as you are to having that 1st child who is your oldest and is a gymnast of 9 years. and i've been on this site now for approx 2 years. got to know and learn about other's sentiments of life, raising kids and being involved in gymnastics with their kids. it's quite a diverse community given that just about everyone has 1 common interest and goal. it's called gymnastics and everything that just that 1 word means to folks around these parts. my conclusion? you're wisdom and experience in life matters pale in comparison to a Masters Degree which you hold in such high regard and to that of just about everyone that i have 'met' here on this site and community where i can't recall someone pulling the 'education card'.

so then, there are some MD's on here. maybe they can write you a prescription for what ails you. there are some Lawyers on here that might help you with your angst about being compelled to volunteer or pay. and of course, we have some PhD's on here with psychology degrees that could assist talking you down from wherever high heavens you reside.

you should be thankful that you're vertical, that your daughter loves gymnastics (didn't hear you say anything to the contrary) and that you have a site such as CB to vent and assert your 1st amendment rights. and the latter does not make you righteous in your thoughts and opinions vs. all the other people here who have Divinity Degrees in LIFE. i'm done now. and hopefully someone will close this thread before the embalmed dead horse is resurrected and beaten once more.:)

It's interesting to me when parents complain about participating and being involved in gymnastics. It always makes me wonder what they are like with their child's teachers and schools. You say your job is so important and time consuming that you do not have the time or ability to be an active participant in your DD gymnastics, but are you involved with her school? If the answer is yes, then I am going to ask you why one and not the other? There are always ways to make it work. If your answer is no and that you really are that uninvolved I feel sorry for you.

Also curious why you have avoided all questions asking why you continue to support this gym with your business when you are so unhappy with them?

Mary if i have to pay what is that money being used for?? My replacement? So the gym has to pay someone else to fill my position?? But If I do it I am not entitled to what the gym would pay for my replacement (their OPT OUT FEE) or a portion?? Do you see my point??

Nobody to work at meets = no meets. No meets = no competitive gymnastics. It's like I tell kids when they want to pick a flower in a public garden or something... sure, there are so many flowers that YOU taking one won't matter, but what if EVERYBODY took one? Then there'd be no flowers! Sure, there will still be gymnastics meets whether or not YOU choose to help out, but what if EVERYBODY decided that they are too busy to participate? Then this sport that your daughter loves so much would no longer exist. The meets are expensive as it is. Can you imagine how much it would cost to attend a meet if the host gym needed to pay everyone who ran the concession stand, sold tickets, picked up trash, etc? So, you don't have time to work the meet... maybe your $100 goes to pay for the extra toilet paper, soap, and paper towels that the gym uses during the meet, or whatever. Everybody pitches in. Everybody benefits. Again, if you don't know what your $100 "opt out" fee pays for, you are completely within your rights to ask.

Wow, coming to this late and I have no desire to jump in the middle of this bee's nest, but we were just having this discussion last week at the gym (coaches and parents) and so I can't resist. I hope I don't regret it :)

It is difficult to get parents to want to donate their time to put on the meet. Many of them don't want to do it. Personally, I think this is a little sad. Contributing to the meet makes me feel like part of my gym community and my dd loves that I am participating in something she is so passionate about. But, I am a level 4 parent and have not reached that jaded veteran stage yet.

There are many parents at our gym that fall into that category. They have been at this for so long and their kids are at a higher level and their sacrifice is greater and many of them feel that they have don't have to participate in this way anymore or don't feel that the gym deserves their time after years of dealing with the perpetual tension between gym and paretn. But, we have made a choice to allow our children to pursue this sport with all of its benefits and joys and horrid communication and pain in the *** moments.

Personally, I am pretty pissed off that pushy parents are ruining it for the rest of it. I would love to feel like I could get some straight talk about my gymmie. That I could talk to the owner about issues I have without feeling like it will negatively impact my gymmie. But no, angry bitter or pushy and overzealous parents have the coaches and owners running scared and the whole thing makes me a little sick to my stomach. Ooh, sorry. I digress. :eek:

My point on this post is we were talking about how to get parents to volunteer at the meet as it is always hard to put on a great meet when you can't depend on people to show up when they say they will or do what is asked of them.

Someone brought up a great point I thought. In other sports the parents are fully expected to be an active part of all kinds of things, not just one home meet a year. But every home game, race, meet, match whatever. The parents are out there running everything. And half the time their they are the coach too.

They don't do this to get their fair cut or to reduce their fees. They don't even usually complain about it, but rather fight over who get's to do more. They do it because they love and support their children in their sport.

Yes, those may be less expensive sports and may not be run by private organizations (although the woman that was saying this was speaking of a private sports club her other dd is involved with), but just by looking at the cars in the gym parking lot, I can pretty much guarantee that no one is getting rich off of the private gymnastics club. Our owner is known to run a successful and profitable gym, which in our area is actually very unusual. Most gyms run at a loss a vast majority of the time. But even he drives an old beater. No one is getting rich on your time here folks.

I can see how the either volunteer or pay choice can feel like an ultimatum, but that is something you are putting on top of it. It is what it is and unless they dropped it on without warning, then you knew it was coming. You may not be alone in your feelings, but I would put my money on the fact that the gym's intention is not to "get you" and many other parents feel more like I do.

Is the system perfect? no, absolutely not. I am frustrated regularly and am very close to writing my own "talk me down please" post here. But, I love my kid and she loves gymnastics so I can't wait to support her in it in anyway I can and if that means I volunteer my time so our club can put on a great meet that people will want to come back to and may buy our team a new piece of equipment, then I will do it with a smile on my face.

thank you at least you understandmy points. Since you just had a discusion on this you know I am nt alone on this.. I have no problem with helping your child or doing what you want to help.. But when a gym is using you to hold a meet & you or your child are not benefiting form it that is wrong or you are beign charged for not working it I have a problem with that.. That is all my point is..

okay barney66, you pulled the 'education card'. you have intimated that the majority here could not be as sophisticated business wise as you have a Masters Degree in Business. therefore, the majority here must be dense cause they don't see it your way. you are presumptuous because you came on here...about a minute ago...without learning who everyone is and what degrees they may hold which include Medical, Law and other varying Professional/PhD degrees.

so then, i will pull the 'age card'. i will be presumptuous and make an educated guess that i got at least 20 years on you. i've already raised a family and lived most of the life than i'm going to live ahead of me. i'm as close to that 6 foot hole as you are to having that 1st child who is your oldest and is a gymnast of 9 years. and i've been on this site now for approx 2 years. got to know and learn about other's sentiments of life, raising kids and being involved in gymnastics with their kids. it's quite a diverse community given that just about everyone has 1 common interest and goal. it's called gymnastics and everything that just that 1 word means to folks around these parts. my conclusion? you're wisdom and experience in life matters pale in comparison to a Masters Degree which you hold in such high regard and to that of just about everyone that i have 'met' here on this site and community where i can't recall someone pulling the 'education card'.

so then, there are some MD's on here. maybe they can write you a prescription for what ails you. there are some Lawyers on here that might help you with your angst about being compelled to volunteer or pay. and of course, we have some PhD's on here with psychology degrees that could assist talking you down from wherever high heavens you reside.

you should be thankful that you're vertical, that your daughter loves gymnastics (didn't hear you say anything to the contrary) and that you have a site such as CB to vent and assert your 1st amendment rights. and the latter does not make you righteous in your thoughts and opinions vs. all the other people here who have Divinity Degrees in LIFE. i'm done now. and hopefully someone will close this thread before the embalmed dead horse is resurrected and beaten once more.:)

sorry to hear that you are closer to six feet under then me. I wish that was not the case (seriously i mean that) I am 60 yrs ols. Married 30 yrs. I was a captain in USMC. I was stationed in Beirut when many of my friends were killed by cowardly terrorists. So I have been around the block myself.. just because i joined this site & did not wait to post & added my opinion to a thread that was on here before i came ( some parents fell the same as i do ) means nothing.
You see dunno you just miss my point. I only brought my degree up because it I could not get over the reponses I was getting. Most were from the heart or passion or a belief not from actual knowledge of a business situation. That is how i am looking at. I put no feeling into it. I am using my business background to substantiate my argument. If it came out that way i apologize to anyone that was offended. You should know understand why I said it. I am not throwing any "card" into it. I think I am no better than anyone else. But i stand up for what i believe & i will support it with facts to prove it is not just a belief that it is right!
I capitalized because it seems my post is not read correctly, I will stop, I don't want your eyes to hurt :)

i don't think someone read the same post that i just did that thefellowsmom just posted above...

Nobody to work at meets = no meets. No meets = no competitive gymnastics. It's like I tell kids when they want to pick a flower in a public garden or something... sure, there are so many flowers that YOU taking one won't matter, but what if EVERYBODY took one? Then there'd be no flowers! Sure, there will still be gymnastics meets whether or not YOU choose to help out, but what if EVERYBODY decided that they are too busy to participate? Then this sport that your daughter loves so much would no longer exist. The meets are expensive as it is. Can you imagine how much it would cost to attend a meet if the host gym needed to pay everyone who ran the concession stand, sold tickets, picked up trash, etc? So, you don't have time to work the meet... maybe your $100 goes to pay for the extra toilet paper, soap, and paper towels that the gym uses during the meet, or whatever. Everybody pitches in. Everybody benefits. Again, if you don't know what your $100 "opt out" fee pays for, you are completely within your rights to ask.

I understand your point but i disagree with the everybody benefits IMHO. This sport is very expensive as we all know. Holding a met is more for the gym then the gymnast. We already established that. Yes it is nice to compete in your gym but the bottom line is it's for the gym. The gym should not expect a parent to work their meets for nothing. If a parent chooses to that is fine. We all know many parents will volunteer, I would if I had the time & did not lose money. Having to pay an opt out fee is not right. The only people I see taking anything is the gym owner. As i said if something was done for the kids with money made from holding meets a credit anything reasonable (meaning in line with what the buy out opt is) I would be ok with.
To be charged 100 200 or 300 for not participating & get nothing somewhat equal in return I just will not understand

I'm not going to list my credentials, all I know is that I came from a gym with no booster club. I had 3 months to come up with $1300. So when my DD changed gyms and was asked for only $800 in competition fees because the booster club subsidized the rest of the costs, DH and I gladly volunteered more than 6 hours to work the meet we hosted. What comes around goes around... don't think too hard about it :)

sorry to hear that you are closer to six feet under then me. I wish that was not the case (seriously i mean that) I am 60 yrs ols. Married 30 yrs. I was a captain in USMC. I was stationed in Beirut when many of my friends were killed by cowardly terrorists. So I have been around the block myself.. just because i joined this site & did not wait to post & added my opinion to a thread that was on here before i came ( some parents fell the same as i do ) means nothing.
You see dunno you just miss my point. I only brought my degree up because it I could not get over the reponses I was getting. Most were from the heart or passion or a belief not from actual knowledge of a business situation. That is how i am looking at. I put no feeling into it. I am using my business background to substantiate my argument. If it came out that way i apologize to anyone that was offended. You should know understand why I said it. I am not throwing any "card" into it. I think I am no better than anyone else. But i stand up for what i believe & i will support it with facts to prove it is not just a belief that it is right!
I capitalized because it seems my post is not read correctly, I will stop, I don't want your eyes to hurt :)

Thank You for your service. You've got me tongue tied now. Heart, Passion & Belief are synonymous to the Corp (pun intended) of Semper Fi. And because of your service to country beliefs, and others as well, is now what i can't reconcile about your unwillingness to volunteer unconditionally given that gymnastics at the Corp (pun intended) is a hugely volunteer activity and to the benefit of children. Where the benefits to the children can not be quantified and where the ROI to parents, coaches and club owners pale in comparison and can not be measured immediately.

And my sister's 1st husband rests in peace. 2nd Battalion 8th Marine Regiment. West Beirut. Deceased 10/03/1982. I can't type anymore...

p.s. our ages are nearly identical...

p.s. because someone pm'd me to ask. his death was due to sniper fire near beirut international airport.

It's interesting to me when parents complain about participating and being involved in gymnastics. It always makes me wonder what they are like with their child's teachers and schools. You say your job is so important and time consuming that you do not have the time or ability to be an active participant in your DD gymnastics, but are you involved with her school? If the answer is yes, then I am going to ask you why one and not the other? There are always ways to make it work. If your answer is no and that you really are that uninvolved I feel sorry for you.

Also curious why you have avoided all questions asking why you continue to support this gym with your business when you are so unhappy with them?

I never avoided anything re read all of my post's my answer was written. It is for my daughter she is not at the point of her career to start gym hopping. I listen to my children they have a say,, they have to do it not me (i have to pay for it). Bringing up the question of how I fell towards school is attempting to attack my values. You can't compare going to a teachers meeting at night or talking to them via email or on the phone about my child to volunteering at a gymnatics meet for the owners.. Saying if i could do one then i should be able to do the other is not the same thing.. there is no comparison.. I have never complained I added my opinion to a thread that was here. If you like working for your gym for nothing in return & you can do it without taking off work & losing money good for you. Meets are held when i am working (which is 6 full days & 1 half day a week). If I had the time or meets were held according to my schedule & my gym reciprocated in some way maybe i would feel different.
My gym just started this. there was no meeting or minutes to go over. it was we are holding a meet do this or pay that..

Thank You for your service. You've got me tongue tied now. Heart, Passion & Belief are synonymous to the Corp (pun intended) of Semper Fi. And because of your service to country beliefs, and others as well, is now what i can't reconcile about your unwillingness to volunteer unconditionally given that gymnastics at the Corp (pun intended) is a hugely volunteer activity and to the benefit of children. Where the benefits to the children can not be quantified and where the ROI to parents, coaches and club owners pale in comparison and can not be measured immediately.

And my sister's 1st husband rests in peace. 2nd Battalion 8th Marine Regiment. West Beirut. Deceased 10/03/1982. I can't type anymore...

p.s. our ages are nearly identical...

"Always faithful Always loyal" i was with 1st Batt. 3rd Div. out of Japan. I was on lone to the 3rd ccompany 1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment from France stationed in Beirut. A few minutes after the 1st bomb they hit the french quarters about 4-5 miles west( YES GOD BLESS YOUR SISTERS HUSBAND) My team worked with them as a go between for all our forces.

Anyway Dunno Volunteering for the kids is not my point. My gym has become a give me give me give me gym. I said that earlier. I would do what ever i could for someone with out anything in return, I added my opinion to what many parents already feel. I just added a lot more.. I said i have to see what happens at my gym & talk to my daughter before I do anything rash.

If things stay the same i will not support this gym & will have to leave.

"Always faithful Always loyal" i was with 1st Batt. 3rd Div. out of Japan. I was on lone to the 3rd ccompany 1st Parachute Chasseur Regiment from France stationed in Beirut. A few minutes after the 1st bomb they hit the french quarters about 4-5 miles west( YES GOD BLESS YOUR SISTERS HUSBAND) My team worked with them as a go between for all our forces.

Anyway Dunno Volunteering for the kids is not my point. My gym has become a give me give me give me gym. I said that earlier. I would do what ever i could for someone with out anything in return, I added my opinion to what many parents already feel. I just added a lot more.. I said i have to see what happens at my gym & talk to my daughter before I do anything rash.

If things stay the same i will not support this gym & will have to leave.

I'm sorry to hear your gym has gone in that direction. I think the reason there has been so much debate is because most people here have not had your experience and most gym owners are not 100% profit driven. Although teams are a "steady" source of income, in most gyms, rec classes are not hard to fill and if they don't become a steady and far more profitable part of your gym, you're probably doing something wrong. As many have mentioned team cost per hour becomes just dollars compared to upwards to $20 an hour for rec. Yet still things are very expensive and many booster clubs host meets as a fundraiser. It's not the gyms that make all the money, but the booster club. Yes you have to reimburse the gym for their lost profits from rec classes, pay for general facility things, etc. But really by working a meet you're helping your daughter by helping the gym. If the gym is holding a meet, many gyms use it to keep tuition lower. Of course there are exceptions, but please believe that most gyms out there aren't looking to capitalize on profits at the expense of their clients. Yes gyms are a business in definition but at heart they're really a community and that's what makes them different.

Gymnastics is very very community driven. My gym for at least 15 years was through a municipal rec district. But we still hosted a small meet and had a small booster club and everyone was required to work. My mom is a single mom and I have a younger sister who dances competitively and my mom works two jobs, so she didn't have lots of extra time. But she still worked the meet. If the costs were absorbed into tuition and other costs, gymnastics wouldn't be within reach for my financially. My niece's YMCA gym is the same way. Both gyms are non-profit and allow us to have the experience of gymnastics, which has taught me almost as much as school as far as life lessons.

I'm not saying that this is an answer to your problems, but think about all your daughter has gained from gymnastics. Dedication, perseverance, hard work, teamwork, goal setting, self confidence, etc. To me those lessons don't have a dollar value.

Good luck with your gym, I hope it all works out. As you said your daughter has been there for quite some time and it becomes very much a second family, so when there are problems it's very draining.

thank you at least you understandmy points. Since you just had a discusion on this you know I am nt alone on this.. I have no problem with helping your child or doing what you want to help.. But when a gym is using you to hold a meet & you or your child are not benefiting form it that is wrong or you are beign charged for not working it I have a problem with that.. That is all my point is..

Wow, I think you missed my point entirely. You may not be alone, but that doesn't make you right. I have yet to hear you talk about your daughter and her gymnastics or why it is that you stay here if you hate them so much.

Life is all about choices. Volunteer or write a check is one you've been given. Another is if you don't like the way this gym runs things then go find another.

You also have a choice to come here and voice your opinion and I respect that. I just am sad that you can't see past your own stuff to see how all this angst to see that you should want to support your daughter and her gym to make her experience there the best it can be. But, since this thread has now gone terribly long and you still are not hearing any of us, I'm not sure you will ever see that. It's sad is all.

There are so many real problems in life and places where energy is so much better spent. Why waste all this energy on something like this.

Make your choice and get on with it.

JMHO. I'm out on this one.

Wow, I think you missed my point entirely. You may not be alone, but that doesn't make you right. I have yet to hear you talk about your daughter and her gymnastics or why it is that you stay here if you hate them so much.

Life is all about choices. Volunteer or write a check is one you've been given. Another is if you don't like the way this gym runs things then go find another.

You also have a choice to come here and voice your opinion and I respect that. I just am sad that you can't see past your own stuff to see how all this angst to see that you should want to support your daughter and her gym to make her experience there the best it can be. But, since this thread has now gone terribly long and you still are not hearing any of us, I'm not sure you will ever see that. It's sad is all.

There are so many real problems in life and places where energy is so much better spent. Why waste all this energy on something like this.

Make your choice and get on with it.

JMHO. I'm out on this one.

Sorry, replied without reading the rest. Too tiring.

my DD's gym has a Booster Club. we try to fundraise to help with costs but...... her gym is small. if not everyone participates, then we are not very successful. I find all to often it is always the same people volunteering & the same people not volunteering. valid reason or not. I don't have a problem with a volunteer or fee rule. it really isn't fair to those who always volunteer when those who don't enjoy the same benefits with no effort.

And I understand you feel that because the profit goes to the gym. But I beleive that we do benefit. Our children get to do what they love. they maybe get to use newer equipment, a new training aid, better lighting, more seating......... whatever.

I also believe that me 'volunteering' shows my daughtr that I am taking an interest in her interest, in something that is important to her. If your DD is L9 then she would be old enough to understand that mom & dad cannot miss work for this because our family needs the money to pay the bills but, we are contributing to your cause.

It sounds like your gym may have implimented this without any discussion but.... it's their gym. they can do whatever they want.you can participate by the rules or leave. much like an adult child living @ home. as long as you are living under my roof you will live by my rules.

Just took a while to read this entire thread. I may be missing the point here but it seems that the original poster (Barney?) is trying to compare apples to oranges and that is not possible, in my opinion.

You may have a business degree and it serves you well for your business.

But gymnastics is more than 'just a business' (I say this not being a gym owner but as mom who pays a gym!)

My daughter's gym, yes, is a business...they have a team, they have rec classes, they have a cheer team and they run bday parties Friday nights thru Sunday nights!! They run a summer camp, vacation camps, Weekend movie nights and mom and me classes. So, yes, these are all money makers for the gym....because yes, they need to make money to have good programs for our kids!

However, they run this business FOR KIDS because they LIKE KIDS! I mean, if the owner and coaches didn't like kids, then it wouldn't be a happy place to be!

So running a place that survives for kids is way different than running a business that, say, sells jeans. Denim is the bottom line there, not the self esteem of a young child!

Apples to oranges.

What always amazes me is when people who don't know the 'business' think they could run it better.

I am a teacher. I have a Masters Degree in Education. So, yes, I think I know children well and can teach young children well.

But I wouldn't tell a person who sells jeans how to do it better.

Wouldn't tell my doctor how to do surgery...just care about them making me or a family member better.

Nor would I tell our gym owners how to run their gym because while I know kids, I don't know the first thing about gymnastics....my daughter may be an optional gymnast but I got confused on the skills beyond the back handspring, layout and flyaway.

I leave their business to them and support my child at home.

Yet day in and day out, I experience as a teacher parents who tell me what to do because apparently my experience (and education specific to my job) don't matter.

I think it's important to let professionals do what they do well and for us to either support and enjoy the ride or find a place we feel better about.

Just felt I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I’ve been around for a while myself. My dd has been in the same gym for 10+ yrs now. The gym my dd attends does not have a booster club, they do not have any fundraisers, nothing, nodda – they basically hold my checkbook hostage! Her gym is for profit, it could probably run without making a profit, but not for long. The money is in the Rec Program, the team does bring in a lot of money, but it really goes right out by paying for the coaches, travel, blah, blah, blah. I work full-time, as does my dh – just thought that I’d throw that out there. I do work in the business world, not retail, I have “normal work hours (adjusted of course to get my kid to the gym on time and M-F schedule.”

I like my dd’s gym, I would have no problems leaving it, but it is where my dd chooses to do gym. I am the first to admit that I constantly refer to the gym as “Fantasyland.” Things that go on in her gym would never fly in the real work world, but I know that. I think it’s ok to vent about your displeasures and not actually leave a gym. I always say, having been at the same gym for so long, I know where the landmines are here, if dd were to switch, there would be new landmines and I would not know where they are. Usually the stuff that gets me is the favoritisms, the “having standards and hold certain girls to them while others seem to get a free pass”, just normal petty crap. Safety has never been an issue or dd wouldn’t have a choice and would have to move.

I guess you can say that I’m a gym “old fart” that has been beaten down by the system and when they hit me up for $20 bucks or there, I just hand it over. My “I’m gonna change the gym world new comer parent view” is now… ok, how much do I owe. I am one of those parents who always is there to help, without expectation of a return. I do it for my child, end of story. I take days off of work to take my child to her FRIDAY day meets, during the school year – yeah another beaten me down aspect of the sport. Now, I do get paid when I take the days off, but I’ve lost my own valuable time BUT I do it without a grudge. We all make sacrifices in this sport, like OP said it’s expensive, but I’m in it for the long haul and I’ve accepted the “cons” that come with the sport.

OP – My #1 suggestion for you in regards to meet that require volunteer time or pay up – have your dd do your time. If she is a L9, she is old enough to go into a meet and give 4 hours or whatever the shift is. Whether it be run scores, time an event, work a concession stand, admissions or sell a 50/50 ticket. Most likely your dd wants to be at the meet anyways to support her teammates and be with her friends. You let her know that her doing the time is part of the sacrifice she makes for the family for her to do the sport so that her Mother can still go to work that day and make the money so she can be in the gym. I can not see any gym not allowing her to do your family’s hours.

It’s always easy to complain – trust me, I’m good at it, but complain with a solution is what is going to make a difference.

Hmmm, L9, NJ… wonder what age group??? She might just run into my dd at an Invitational or even States. ;)

I just got done doing a breakdown on another thread called "I am so sick of booster club" or something to that effect. As far as meet fees- we pay them, even for home meets. The money goes to paying judges, compensating gym for lost rec classes, and awards. Our gym is known for their generous awards- which somewhat bothers me, but I guess some parents/kiddos expect to be rewarded for putting on a leo.
I think what people fail to recognize is that the team aspect is a who different beast than the regular gym income. The gyms take a loss for having a competitive team. back in my day it was an honor to be on team- it didn't matter how pushy your parents were- the gymnast needed talent, strength (both mental and physical,) flexibility (again, both mental and physical,) and had to be disciplined. These days schools have 6 soccer teams because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by letting them know they didn't make the cut- everyone grows up feeling entitled to something for little or no effort exerted. The gymnasts have to sweat a little to get results. The parents should have to sweat a little, too. Lead by example and teach your children what sacrifice is all about lest they grow up to become yet another "gimme gimme."

I wish there was a like button.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back