WAG Hand position for back flick on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ponyshine

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Hi Everyone,

What is the correct hand placement for a back flick (or back handspring if you're American) on beam? In my old gymnastics club, they told me to place one hand in front of the other. Now that I'm used to this way of doing it, it's fine although at first it made me twist a bit. In my new club, they don't recommend this hand placement because of the fact that it makes you twist. Instead, they suggest placing your hands on the beam as you would a backward walkover, gripping round the sides of the beam. My previous gym club didn't recommend this method because they said it's easy to slip both hands down the side of the beam.

I'm now a little unsure of which method to use. One club says one method is safer & the other is dangerous. The other club says another method is safer but the other one is dangerous. So which do I use!? Which is correct? I'm now used to the first method, but I might be able to change.

Thanks for your advice :)
Ponyshine

Don't know if it's "right" or not, but my DD is being taught like your first club: one hand sort of in front of the other. She also once mentioned the hand slippage thing if you go side by side. But again, we are at a small gym in a rather weak gymnastics state so take that for what it's worth.

I have seen both. I have also seen the "gripping the sides" method with thumbs locked (to prevent slipping down the sides).

The first way you were told is the right way to do it in my opinion. In back walkover style, your hands can slip off too easily.

Hi Everyone,

What is the correct hand placement for a back flick (or back handspring if you're American) on beam? In my old gymnastics club, they told me to place one hand in front of the other. Now that I'm used to this way of doing it, it's fine although at first it made me twist a bit. In my new club, they don't recommend this hand placement because of the fact that it makes you twist. Instead, they suggest placing your hands on the beam as you would a backward walkover, gripping round the sides of the beam. My previous gym club didn't recommend this method because they said it's easy to slip both hands down the side of the beam.

I'm now a little unsure of which method to use. One club says one method is safer & the other is dangerous. The other club says another method is safer but the other one is dangerous. So which do I use!? Which is correct? I'm now used to the first method, but I might be able to change.

Thanks for your advice :)
Ponyshine

The first way is the way recommended to me on the last British gymnastics course I went on less than a year ago. Some kids find it harder to do especially without twisting. Stick with the one you are used to and spend your energy trying not to twist instead.

My coach doesn't force either hand placement apon up. In my team of 6 gymnasts, 4 do the flick with linked thumbs gripping the side of the beam, 1 does it with both her hands next to each other but facing the same way (so like a side handstand in the middle) and I do it with one hand flat across the beam horizontally and the other hand vertically with my fingers of the vertical hand touching the side of my first finger on the other hand. My coach says she does this because she would prefer us to find our own natural hand placement rather than having to relearn hand placement.

Like this, but with your hands....
upload_2014-3-18_11-1-46.jpeg

The hands cupped with wrists together and thumbs together and pointed down the length of the beam is good too, but they usually end up evolving into the position above...... one hand behind with an open thumb and the other hand nested between the thumb and hand bone that leads to the index finger. Consider the shape of the back hand as a tipped to the left "L" and the heel of the front hand is against the long side of the "L."

Our optional HC, who has coached many girls to L10, NCAA, and one to national team, recently changed that way that she wants the L4's learning hand position on BHS on beam. Granted she doesn't actually coach the L4's, she has just declared that that is how they are to be taught :) and so that is how they are being taught. Our gym has always done hands around the beam, and she has now decided she wants one hand in front of the other, both hands on top of the beam.

Not a big deal, except my DD had just gotten comfortable doing it the other way. We wish HC's edict could have come 3 months earlier....

straight as you can get: thumbs on top facing end and fingers gripping side of beam.

next to keep straight: left hand forward>right foot down first. keeps the right hip closed.

same to keep straight: right hand forward>left foot down first. keeps the left hip closed.

next: WHATEVER WORKS! :)

Like this, but with your hands....
View attachment 4386

The hands cupped with wrists together and thumbs together and pointed down the length of the beam is good too, but they usually end up evolving into the position above...... one hand behind with an open thumb and the other hand nested between the thumb and hand bone that leads to the index finger. Consider the shape of the back hand as a tipped to the left "L" and the heel of the front hand is against the long side of the "L."

This is what my daughter does.

upload_2014-3-18_23-27-52.png

Changes to your picture......
If the thumb on your left hand is extended as the base of the "L," the only change would be to rotate your right hand clockwise until the heel of your right hand is resting against the long leg of the "L."

Start by telling them to cup the beam in the same grip used for a cross/english handstand.... like dunno says. Keep begging them to do it that way, and about the worst you'll get a year or two later is the attached picture with the changes I suggested to the right hand. The one thing you want to stay away from, if possible, is to let kids rotate their front hand with their fingers hanging over the same side as the fingers on the back hand...... Kids with poor shoulder flexibility tend to evolve to that (both hands on same side) position, and that's the only way some of them can do the skill..... well, at least that's what they keep telling me.

Thanks everyone. You're replies are all very interesting. I find is interesting that the new club I go to uses the method they do for flicks on beam (backward walkover hand position) considering it's a top level club raising possible future Olympians...surely they must do things 'right'!? My previous small local club seemed to use a safer hand position in my opinion!

there is no 'safer'. it's whatever works, is straight as can be and the most effective.

We're taught to put one hand in front of the other at my gym so that we don't slip off the side. In my opinion this ways safer. When I was first learning them I switched which hand I put in front and this kinda helped with the twisting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back