Handstand hold??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
I know this is a weird senario but please help me!!Lately we have been working handstand pirouettes(SP??) on bars and today while practicing I dicovered that I had lost my handstand hold...?!?I mean I could hold it for like 30 sec to 1 minute no problem but now it's only like 5 seconds!!I know if when I go to the gym tommorow and my coach see's she will be super mad so please help soon.I am doing everything the same as I have always done tight body,legs/butt squeezed and pointed toes but I dont know what happened!!:eek:Does anyone know why I lost it and how to help me get it back??Also I have already done abput 500 against the wall and it's not helping!!I would greatly appriciate any suggestions:DThanks so much even if you dont reply:)

My DD is experiencing the exact same problem right now. She could hold handstands for a long time in Levels 4-6, but now at Level 8 can barely hold 3 seconds. She is also training pirouettes and discovered they can't be done easily w/o a good handstand! I blame it on the fact that she's grown 1-2" and gained 10-15 lbs since those days and her strength and balance hasn't kept up with her body changes. She is doing lots of push ups and handstand holds against the wall now, and is seeing improvement. Talk to your coach to see what you can do to get better. I think these types of issues are common in this sport and they shouldn't be mad at you. Good luck!

Mine can hold a handstand from a clear hip but cannot do it from a cast (relatively anyway), especially going into a pirouette.

It sounds like a shoulder angle issue. Most of the time, on a bar - especially working piros - your head is up to see your hands, which breaks your shoulder angle.

Remember to "grow tall" and open your shoulders.

Good luck!

Ryan

I've never trained to these to anyone myself, but I see our elite and optional coaches do it all the time. The most heard correction is 'it's not a hold, you're in motion so quit trying to balance a handstand on the bar'. I have complete faith in those coaches and the correctness of what they're saying, I just can't expand on it in good faith as I've never coached the skill. Maybe someone with experience with it could elaborate on the handstand hold vs handstand in motion training mentality for this skill?

I've never trained to these to anyone myself, but I see our elite and optional coaches do it all the time. The most heard correction is 'it's not a hold, you're in motion so quit trying to balance a handstand on the bar'. I have complete faith in those coaches and the correctness of what they're saying, I just can't expand on it in good faith as I've never coached the skill. Maybe someone with experience with it could elaborate on the handstand hold vs handstand in motion training mentality for this skill?

Any twisting motion is a skill in motion. Remember, twisting happens on an axis - it is not stationary. Even piro's on floor have a different body position than a held handstand.

Well, I'm kind of confused about what we're talking about. I assumed the issue was handstand hold on floor. Into the pirouette if you did handstand hold, you'd end up turning past handstand. You want to turn before handstand so you finish in handstand.

Are we talking about a handstand hold on floor or on bars?

In my opinion, a handstand hold on bars is unnecessary. A pirouette does not begin in handstand, but rather on the way up to the handstand.

Are we talking about a handstand hold on floor or on bars?

In my opinion, a handstand hold on bars is unnecessary. A pirouette does not begin in handstand, but rather on the way up to the handstand.

The original poster's question was answered. However, it created a new question by Linsul, which has been answered a few times now :p

Any twisting motion is a skill in motion. Remember, twisting happens on an axis - it is not stationary. Even piro's on floor have a different body position than a held handstand.

Yeah, I was saying it's a skill in motion, which is why the OP was confusing.

The way the skill is taught around me lead me to believe that if someone is having issues with handstand pirouette, the ability to hold a handstand on bars doesn't matter. I don't know if the OP thinks a handstand hold and a hs pirouette on bars are linked or if I just read it that way.

Hmm, I don't know, they are a little linked in that handstand stability will generally equate to better in-bar work. I didn't really exactly understand the problem either. But if the OP took time off gym, a lot of times the first thing to go is the handstand hold balance. You just need to get your balance back.

I was talking about handstand hold on floor,my handstand on bars it fine but as soon as we started working pirouttes on bars my handstand on floor just disapeared!!Any more help would be greatly appriciated :)

Like many things, certain skills need to be maintained or they will diminish.

This is gymnastics, and mastery of many kind of HS is helpful. FX/PB/SR/HB/BB. If you're gonna be an acrobat, HS holds or one arms.

One of the most amazing things I find about that 6yo phenom from Greece, Giuliano is his ability in a single rail HS at his age.

Have you been growing again? A growth spurt will change your center of gravety and how you do skills will be affected too. I know for both my daughter and son every time they grew an inch they had some skill affected and had to take a few weeks to fix it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back