WAG Handstands!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
So at gym we have to hold handstands for 2-3 minutes (against a wall) and it doesn't sound hard but it's awful! I struggle so much to hold it for that long. I freak my teammates out when we come down too. They say my face gets paper white and my lips get purple. Is that normal? It doesn't happen to any other girl (that I know of) when we do this conditioning. Can someone offer any tips too? Thanks

When you come down keep your head down for a minute and then bring it up slowly.

If you need to learn how to breathe, or breathe more deeply, try walking (in a handstand) the length of the vault runway, or across the floor ex mat and back. You'll find a rhythm that works well, and have a sense that taking a deep breath won't affect your balance.

If you need to learn how to breathe, or breathe more deeply, try walking (in a handstand) the length of the vault runway, or across the floor ex mat and back. You'll find a rhythm that works well, and have a sense that taking a deep breath won't affect your balance.

Do you mean breathing with each step you take with your hands? I always lose my balance when I try to breathe in a long handstand, just wondering if this drill would help with that...

Not every step because you'll hyperventilate. Try starting a breath every other left, or every other right. The thing is, you'll have to breath when going down the vault runway or 2x the floor, so do it and figure out how not to stop to take a breath while you do it.

We do handstand walking for our conditioning and I have a hard time breathing in that as well... Thanks for the suggestion!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back