Parents Happy and sad at the same time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
It is very strange sometimes to have two gymmies at such different stages of their 'career'.
While one is excelling quickly, the other is on his way out.....I can't describe the feelings.
My son, who is 15, and has been in this sport for 8 years is done. Done, done. He was a superstar when he was young, but then a series of unfortunate events put him on a tailspin right out of the sport. He injured his wrist at 12, and by 13 he lost many skills. That was combined with a very mentally abusive coach, and he lost all drive and confidence in his ability. Then add some puberty and it would be impossible for him to come back at this point. So as he told me he was really quitting, for real, and I see it in his eyes, I told him no, you are definitely NOT quitting.....after putting up with 2 years of a sh*tty coach, injuries, switching gyms, competing L8, and puberty, I would not call that quitting.....I call that 'finishing' or transitioning......so on to crossfit full time, and perhaps other after school activities which he was NEVER able to do due to time commitments.....

Then my DD who is 10, and is gaining skills so fast I can't keep up....she did well at L4, and has been working L7 skills. She will be scoring out of L5 very soon, and then will be going for L6..... But as I keep telling her L6, she keeps smiling and explaining what she needs for 7..... Not a huge step really.....and she is absolutely flying on bars which is usually the problem.....we will see....there is no rush....none, whatsoever.

So as my son told me what mistakes NOT to make with her gymnastics, (I told him he sounded MUCH stricter than I!) it is bitter sweet......
I still believe that had my son had a better human being coaching him through those tough years, he would be doing very well now IN the sport......but no matter. Life is waiting.....outside.

As always, thanks CB for being there....

well that is sad....and sad that your son had to endure people who I tell my kids "have a special place in hell reserved for them" but he will flourish in his other endeavors as he now has time for them....good luck with your daughter moving forward.

I wish your son all good things as he moves forward. He really tried hard to make it work and stuck it out through incredible adversity. That experience will be so valuable to him no matter where he goes. I just wish he'd had the coach he deserved.

And how exciting for your daughter!

Lovely post. It's a crazy sport for kids and parents alike. I find it particularly sad when injuries and bad seed coaches precipitate the departure, but I really hope that both you and your son enjoyed the ride. Whatever the reason for leaving, I have almost universally found that the gym experience has made them a better person. So many life skills gained from the process. Good luck to him on his next adventures!

What an experience for both of your children! Your son is just going to flourish in whatever he does after his background in gym. And how exciting for you dd!!

Sometimes you just have to move on to bigger and better things. Does not mean he quit it failed.

Last edited by a moderator:
call it whatever you want.....i dont think he quit. he stuck it out for quite a while.
Actually he feels that gymnastics quit him......

It is bittersweet overall, but sounds like you have a solid young man who made a conscious decision. It's sweet how supportive he is of his sister too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back