WAG Hardest Press Handstand on Beam - Can your DD do it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Question time again! Sorry!

As DD is working on her straddle press, some thoughts came to my mind.

So she has a standing straddle press and almost got it from sitting.

Once she can comfortably do it from sitting up and back down again...what about the press handstands done on beam? Will she be able to do them?

1) The normal straddle press on beam, where you do a straddle hold sideways on beam
and press up.

2) The one where you are also in a
straddle hold, but you face the beam lengthwise, so your hands are close together and then press up.

3) The press handstand mount were gymnasts stand sideways to the beam, put their hands on the beam
and then begin to press or slide their feet up until they can press to handstand.

Hope you understand what I mean. I will attach pictures in case you don't.

So which one of those are easiest and hardest?

How hard are they compared to the simple straddle press from sitting on floor?

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 54
According to dd, the press to handstand where you are facing the length of the beam (I think it's called English) is that hardest because your hands are closer together so you don't get that same stability you would get with them shoulder width apart. My dd used this for her mount last season. I think once your dd has her press to handstand on floor it will be fairly easy to transition to the beam. Some TOPS girls like to do their presses on the floor, others prefer the beam.

My DD8 (not in TOPs) definitely thinks the beam ones are easier than the floor. She says it's because she has more control by holding onto something with her hands/fingers. She actually finds the one where you are facing lengthwise the easiest, as it's most like the grip of the regular (not press) handstands they practice constantly, and she doesn't feel like she is going to faceplant off the bar if she falls forward like you would on the sideways one.

But I think overall, if you can do one, you can adapt to all pretty quickly in general.

Last year, DD press mounted the beam by standing in the middle, facing the beam and then pressing up to HS, arched stag hold, then coming down on her shin.

This season she is swinging her leg over so she is straddling the beam, then pressing up, tic toc BHS.

This year's mount already looks stronger. However, I don't think it is fair to attribute it entirely to her hand position. Her press handstands are just stronger all around. She actually prefers her new mount with her hands together.

Pea's mount on beam this year is similar to your DD @cbifoja. She will stand facing the beam, swing her leg over and press to handstand. She has been able to do it for a few years, but has never been able to connect two She says this way is easier for her and is her choice in the 'press handstand contest,' but she's a weirdo...

DD says the hardest of your listed options is the press to HS mount where you stand on the floor and go all the pay to HS. She says doing it at the end of the beam us harder still.

She has competed the press to HS mount for the last two years - it's a B skill here.

Also when DD does press handstands at home (she decided she wants to be able to do 10 without a "butt rest"), she does it with her legs straddling the beam rather than long way. So I guess that's just easier for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back