WAG Has anybody seen my glide kip???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She finally got it and then she lost it as then got it again and then.. Well.. You get it :) she has been working really hard and was so proud that she finally got it and now I feel that she is losing her confidence... Did anyone experience that? Any words of wisdom?

Is she pretty young? Sometimes younger kids don't really understand the skill, or any skill, and just keep going back and forth until they can do it right.... and keep it right.

No matter what the cause, I'll certainly check the pictures on milk cartons so I'll know what this kip looks like, and call in the alert if I see it.

9 is young to be doing kips in my book.
My coach told me when I first made a kip, "Good! It'll be another six weeks until you make another one, but still good."

Yeah, I get that 9 is kinda old and over the hill. No matter, she's still at an age where her best successes happen when she "feels kippy"........ and not so much because she understands the skill. Sure, she works on her corrections, gets the kip, and then over time the corrections lose their luster and she forgets one little thing and, poof, there goes the kip. Rats!!!!!!

Fairly common. In the meantime, I still focus on lots of drop/short kips, spotted kips and attempts on their own. Eventually they hit more and more attempts and it solidifies.

Getting a skill 3x in a row can be fluke. Doing it day in and day out in gymnastics is what it's all about.

I think every gymnast I know gets their kip once, then loses it, then gets it a few times, then loses it, then gets it more consistently, then gets it with straight arms and nice form. I even see some of the older girls (L6+) missing their kips sometimes. It must be frustrating!

Did you recently get grips?? My daughter had her kip then as soon as she put her grips on for the first time it was like watching a baby deer walking for the first time. She had to re-learn her kip and her transfer to high bar. Don't worry with hard work comes great reward!!

She refuses to get grips actually.. So no.. I think a lot of it has to do with her mood and how practice is going... She just got into a vicious cycle with it.. She keeps trying and works hard but I am just concerned and trying to find ways to ease the stress...

Completely normal. DD kipped twice in one session and then again in the next session. She was very excited.Then she didn't do it again for about three weeks. Then she did a couple each session for a couple of weeks, then lost it for a couple of weeks and so on. Took about four months actually for her to get it consistent and with nice form. Pretty much every other girl in the group was the same. One poor girl was the second in the group to get hers - she just did one and everyone was really pleased for her. Then she didn't do another for the whole of summer - about three months. Don't worry. Blame the fairies!

My DD had it pretty solidly, and then lost it, to her great dismay. It was a few more weeks before she had it back. Good luck!

My DD is 10 and just got her kip over the past few months. She has gradually got more consistent but it still varies day to day. The practice before last, she was confidently getting about 90% of them. Last practice she was only getting about 10% of them. She was having a generally bad practice that day (her floor was awful as well), I think because she was overtired. She just didn't have enough energy to tumble or do bar properly, but her beam wasn't too bad. I noticed that the kips she was getting were when I could see her put more effort into her glide swing, so they had more energy. Because she was tired, most of her glide swings were lacking in energy, so no kip. There are two other girls in DD's group who still only get the occasional kip. I'm glad to have read about the difficulty of getting the kip here at CB, so I now know that all this is very normal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back