Heel drive

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So how do you explain all of the physics to a 5-year-old whose feet go more around than over in a cartwheel? Just "kick hard"?

And yes, I know I should not be coaching my daughter. But the coach did tell me to encourage her to work on cartwheels and handstands at home, and that she needed more heel drive.

A lot of kids that go around the side do so because they see the 1/4 turn part of the carwheel as being the golden ticket to a great cartwheel. Try to convince your DD that kicking her leg up and over is more important. You don't need to use that exact wordology, whatever you think your DD will understand should be fine. Now for what you understand...I like to think and teach that a cartwheel is sort of an attempted kick to handstand, but with extra "reach" with the lead leg. When they reach extra and hit the limit of their "splits" flexibility their hips will turn to allow for more reach. Add in a strong push off from the base foot as the leg kick is well in motion. If they can support their weight thru the handstand position the little turn is enough to make a cartwheel happen if that skill is their intended move. Sorry if it seems opposite to what you'd expect, but that's why such a simple and beautiful sport is hard to learn. It's like living in an alternate universe on a planet name Confusia in the Bizzaron Solar System.

I hope this helps, but if it's to confusing just ask for more info and I'll get back to you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back