Parents Help for a first time camper!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mama2JLN

Proud Parent
DD is 7, a (new) level 4, and is going to gymnastics camp for the first time. She is rooming with a teammate and will have some other girls from her gym at the camp. From those experienced parents, what are some helpful hints for what to pack or not pack that might not be obvious, ideas for making the experience of being away from home for the first time easier, etc. Thanks!

My dd just got back last weekend from her first week away at camp. She went with about 30 other girls from her team. She took:
clothes
toiletries
a shower basket to carry toiletries in
1 leo per day + 2 extras
several bathing suits
bath towel & washcloth
beach towel
snacks
grips
sheets, blanket & pillow
small gym bag (for grips & water bottle, etc)
small pool bag
sunscreen

She bought a water bottle at the camp. One of the moms brought sharpie markers so they could decorate their bottles. She brought some snacks because sometimes they just wanted a little something when the dining hall was closed without running to the canteen. I also wrote a little note/card for each day and gave them to the cabin counselor and she gave her one each day.

She did not take any electronics. Several girls had cell phones they could use to call home and she borrowed from them. If your camp allows them, you might want to get a cheap, prepaid phone so she can call home whenever she wants.

We did flipfest and they didn't allow cell phones but did allow kids to call home with calling cards. We practice using them before she went.

What I did was use gallon zip lock bags and I packed a leo and gym shorts in each bag. I made enough bags for each practice sesssion. I did this with day clothes as well, one complete outfit package for each day. This kept her bag neat and it was easy for her to grab a bag and get dress. I also made an extra bag with extra socks and underwear.

Another thing I sent with her was a laundary bag and we tied it to the end of her bed. When she got undressed she put her dirty clothes into the laundary bag. She didn't lose any leos this way and she didn't put dirty/sweaty clothes back into gym bag.

We also sent one set of "old clothes" that could be thrown away. Flipfest has a mud tug of war. She was told just to throw this outfit away. It was an old t-shirt and shorts. I didn't want her rinsing it out and put it in her laundary bag really wet (I was afraid it will mildew and ruin her leos)

Don't forget bug spray. I also sent a lot of glow sticks for nighttime (enough to share) but it acted as a night light for her. I bought them in the dollor section at target and made sure I sent enough for each night of camp. She also took a stuff animal for night. (She didn't want to be embarassed so she kept it in her gym bag, she said justing knowing it was there was all she needed)

Hope this helps

Make sure to pack a lanyard (so she can put her room key on it)....also, hand soap and towel to keep at the sink when they was their hands.

That being said, PACK LIGHT! She will be in a leotard most of the day, so no need for a change of "regular" clothes for every day. Just a couple tshirts and shorts will be fine. The first year, we packed everything they listed, and DD didn't use 3/4 of it.

I'm very conflicted about camp and their ability to get stuff back to the gymnasts, especially the younger ones. At flip fest, I labeled EVERYTHING and got about half of her stuff back. And the clothes were nice clothes because I don't let my daughter go out looking mismatched and disheveled....not even at camp. We lost linens, several outfits, and even a leo. We got back clothes that were obviously not my daughter's....she was 7 and tiny and yet we got adult medium shirts and shorts back. Seriously????

Woodward was a bit better. Again I labeled everything and we got all clothes back and all leos back. I didn't get back a nice quality sheet set or a new towel and did receive a leo that didn't belong to her but was able to get it back to the owner.

I'm a touch control freakish and I have to admit that if I didn't think it would contribute to the social stunting of my child, I would go in to her cabin every morning to make sure her belongings got packed back the way I wanted them. But I resist the urge..... :)

What I did was use gallon zip lock bags and I packed a leo and gym shorts in each bag. I made enough bags for each practice sesssion. I did this with day clothes as well, one complete outfit package for each day. This kept her bag neat and it was easy for her to grab a bag and get dress. I also made an extra bag with extra socks and underwear.

Another thing I sent with her was a laundary bag and we tied it to the end of her bed. When she got undressed she put her dirty clothes into the laundary bag. She didn't lose any leos this way and she didn't put dirty/sweaty clothes back into gym bag.

Hope this helps

What a fabulous idea! As someone with ADHD, this would have been great for me had I gone to camp as a kid! For a little one, it might be nice to put a little note for the day in each bag--and perhaps also a reminder to check the be sure the previous day's items were actually in the laundry (and not next to her on the floor)!

DD went to camp last year for the first time, she was older than your daughter though.. We brought a bed sheet, blanket, pillow case that would make her feel at home when she goes to sleep. A book (that she didn't use of course) and her favorite stuffed animal. In other words, things that made her feel good when she went to sleep.. she said it really helped.

Another thing - anything that makes it easier to do her hair - as it is done by a stranger, try to make sure you have the right hairbrush, cream or anything else.

easy to use sun screen "stick" so that she can put it on her case by herself

these are some of the things that DD mentioned after camp/

oh yes - pack light... I had to take a lot of stuff back :)

hope she enjoys camp!!

Thanks for all the helpful hints. So far, she is enjoying herself and has gotten some new skills. I'm going to watch her practice tomorrow (camp is less than an hour away). I'm hoping that won't make her homesick!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back