Help with front handspring vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dreamergymnast

How do I fix my vault? My coach says I need to reach out more so I put my hands more in the middle, not on the edge. My problem is I put my hands on the edge and I can't reach out more. Do I need more power in my run? Please help as this is my level 4 vault.

Without a video, it's nigh impossible to really know what's going on.

Ok.

Do you run fast? Do you stutter step? Do you arch off the board with little pop off the table?

Ok.

Do you run fast? Do you stutter step? Do you arch off the board with little pop off the table?
I run at a moderate speed, and I somewhat pike on to the vault which according to my coaches prevents me from reaching out more.

Sounds like you need to run faster to put more energy into the board.

You may be piking because the board is too close or you are leaning over vs driving your heels hard off the board (which would be helped by a faster run and more energy into the board).

I am a taller gymnast, so I may need the board back a little. When vault is one of my first events I have a ton of energy, so then I can do it correctly. Luckily at my first meet vault is first so I have way more energy and perform it correctly.

Take a video of yourself and even if you don't post it watch it and pause at the moment you hit the beat board. Look at where you shoulders are in comparison to your feet.
You need to hit the beat board with your feet in front of your chest and shoulder.

Okay. But nobody really videotapes anything except the coaches, and we don't really videotape anymore.

Ask your coach if another gymnast can do it or have your mom/dad ask/do it.

Well, I can do it now :) The funny part is, now I hit the board so hard, the board almost bends all the way to the mat! The coach says I need a tighter board now... lol :)

If you are bottoming out a board, you need more springs. 5 maybe 6 if you are a strong teen.

An adult will probably use 6 or 7 for reference. 8 if you can find that many that will fit (especially the shorter springs in the front of the board).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back