Parents Help with handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym-Mom

Proud Parent
My daughter is almost 5 and does a lot of handstands at home. She has trouble keeping her body straight and usually ends up flopping over into a bridge of sorts. I know this will improve with time, but I wondered if there was an exercise she could be doing to help her get her back straight, have more control and stay on her hands longer. I don't want her hurting her back by always ending up in a bridge. Any advice?

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1404165501.167605.jpg

We got one of these

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

And he's 8 ... And it seriously took forever just to do this . He practices the other way too .

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

Thank you all for the advice. She does tend to really arch her back and look at the floor, instead of behind her. She has done handstands against the wall, but usually with her back to the wall. We will have her try some with her stomach against the wall, instead. I can see how that would be more effective. Thanks!

try and make sure they are square to the wall as well, so hips and shoulders square, and heel of hands, fingers pointing away from the wall (if tummy is against it) and spread and flat. You want to avoid them rotating their arms.

Also make sure she is keeping her arms by her ears and looking behind her. Not at the floor.

oh that is interesting. We teach look at the floor through your eyebrows. We would correct anyone looking behind them. Different styles maybe?

Yes, facing the fall, I was going to say the same thing. My daughter had this problem at that age too. Just growing and getting stronger helped too- more body awareness and core strength come with age/practice.

oh that is interesting. We teach look at the floor through your eyebrows. We would correct anyone looking behind them. Different styles maybe?
I think until the child understands that looking at the floor does not involve lifting the head, it's easier to start with look behind you.

Can you explain how one gets into a handstand this way? I asked dd to show me one at home and she trouble. Do you walk over from the side?
I'm sorry of this is a dumb question.:)

Can you explain how one gets into a handstand this way? I asked dd to show me one at home and she trouble. Do you walk over from the side?
I'm sorry of this is a dumb question.:)

No, here's how:

1) start with your bottom on the wall
2) reach to the ground in front of you to put your hands on the floor
3) walk your feet up the wall
4) walk your hands in
5) tighten up and correct the shape, which includes pushing tall through the shoulders
6) come down by reversing the steps above or rolling forward if you are able to do so safely

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back