WAG Her Kip is 99% there!!!!!! But not 100%

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
I am so frustrated for my daughter...small 9yo.....she is SOOOOO Frustrated!! She has the most beautiful, straight arm hollow body kip.....except she gets almost all the way up. I really don't understand, it looks as if she just jumps back down on purpose.(it is not on purpose!)
She literally gets all the way up, but her shoulders are a tiny bit behind the bar and she falls back.
She had her kip at the end of summer, and now she has been doing this for 4 months!!!!
Every coach gives her a different correction. One says her swing is messed up, one says her hands need to be over the bar more. I can see her ready to tell everyone to be quiet, and let her work it out herself.

Any advice other than telling her she will get it eventually and stop stressing??

Moving my hands faster around the bar has always helped me... Sorry f this is no help! Good luck Xx

It will come, she just need to |"get it". Some kids get it in weeks, others take years. Shawn Johnson says it took her way too long.

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR ARMS STRAIGHT AND PUSH YOUR SHOULDERS OVER THE BAR!! Make sure she shifts her wrist. Give it time and she will get it. Remember, getting upset or frustrated with the gymnast does not make them get it any faster and might even slow the process.

So she was laughing the other day about how she probably would get it on the high bar before the low bar.......low and behold, she did a few fantastic high bar kips, nice with straight arms!!!!! Now for the low bar.......something about the bigger swing helps.....

Try collapse on to the bar. It's ugly I know just do a couple like this then work on making them neat. Also cheek that her feet are in front of the bar and she Is not trying to cast to early.

I had a kid who was just like this (99% up for like six months) and after so many months of this honestly we had to do the above (put your belly on the bar is something I thought I would never say), but I knew she was strong enough and just needed to understand going over. Within a month it was straight arms.

But I usually don't recommend that. Better to do it spotted and just spot the legs less and less.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back