Parents Hi all! New to site and have a ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

smidgie

Proud Parent
Hi. I am a gym mom and have a dd that is training level 6. This is her first year as an optional. Our gym is bringing in a choreographer and we are supposed to supply meals for him. Is that normal? Thanks.

A good friend's gym flies in a choreographer, so the families split the cost of airfare, hotels and stuff. Plus $500 an hour :eek:. I would imagine that they would provide meals, or give a stipend ($50 maybe?) per day to buy meals.

If the choreographer were local, and planned to spend long days in the gym, I think it would be nice to provide at least lunch and some nice snacks.

Thanks for your speedy responses. Compared to the situation you described, it sounds like we're getting off easy. My dd session is in the am so we will be taking him breakfast. A lot of parents (including myself) thought it seemed a little nutty to have to supply meals. But we really dont know what the standard is. He will be putting in long hours. We just thought meals would be included in his fee.

It's probably a thing of convenience...maybe not having to worry about getting something on way to gym (maybe he doesn't have a car?) and not taking time out to leave the gym to eat during the day is actually a good thing. He'll be at the gym, focused on the kids and the choreo. That will allow him to work with more kids during the time he is there.

Hope it goes well!

We have an in house choreographer, but I guess I kind of see it like judges at a meet. We provide meals for the judges, coaches and staff that are working all day. Or if an outside coach was coming in to teach a clinic, we would feed them I am sure. The parents are always generally in charge of coordinating this type of thing, if not always paying for it, although I am sure it is included in clinic fees, which would make sense.

It is just convenience and courtesy. They are working long hard hours without much of a break so the least we can do is make sure they are nourished :)

We always seem to get rave reviews for our potluck meals. That is cheap and low impact. Also, does any family at your gym own a restaurant or know someone who does or is there a local restaurant you could trade a little free publicity or something? These have all been successful routes we have taken when we do our meet meals. I know you don't need catered food for a crowd, but same concept.

Good luck with your dds trip into optionals!

Hi. I am a gym mom and have a dd that is training level 6. This is her first year as an optional. Our gym is bringing in a choreographer and we are supposed to supply meals for him. Is that normal? Thanks.
We have an in-house choreographer. We pay $350 for routine, music, 3 - 4 hours to learn it. After that it is private lesson at $50 an hour. No meal requirement, but I have been known to bring in a Jamba Juice, fresh fruit platter, or a lunch for the coach/choreographer especially if there are back-to-back times scheduled with gymnasts.

Seems like prices and for routines are all over the place. Pea's competing 6 or 7 this year and we haven't heard a word yet about routines, choreography and prices. I'm a bit worried about how high that bill might run!:eek:

Remember, in the foreign language of gymnastics, optional gymnastics translates to "open wallet".

You can expect choreography fees, separate dance practice fees, music fees and all of this just for floor.

Wait until you start the travel meets spanning the whole season.

Good luck.

One of DD's coaches does the choreography for floor routines, so it's just paying her directly for her time and for the music. After reading several of these posts, really glad now that she takes care of it!

When is the time frame to get started on this? My DD is on the fence of Lvl5/6 and I am curious. She has been working different leap passes and dance elements, and discussion of beam mounts, but nothing definitive....

Our gym has started getting our new optionals their routines now. We have an in house choreographer and she is swamped during the summer so the sooner the better.

It's probably a thing of convenience...maybe not having to worry about getting something on way to gym (maybe he doesn't have a car?) and not taking time out to leave the gym to eat during the day is actually a good thing. He'll be at the gym, focused on the kids and the choreo. That will allow him to work with more kids during the time he is there.

Hope it goes well!
Acquiring food when you are are traveling can be a hassle and quite time consuming. Breakfast is easy: bagels, cream cheese, fruit, coffee or juice.

I agree that meals in an unfamiliar location can be difficult. Providing meals is a small gesture that can mean a lot to the choreographer. We are no where near this stage in my DD's gymnastic's journey, but the courtesy holds true whether gymnastics or a guest lecturer, etc. The happier the choreographer is the easier the sessions are likely to go.

Welcome here and how exciting for your dd :). Our new L6/7s just got their routines and I know it was expensive and they didn't supply food. Hope she has fun with her new routine :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back