Off Topic highschool

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

this is weird question to ask here but i don't have anywhere else to ask. i am homeschooled, and i want to go to high school. I'm really behind on school. REALLY behind. is everything they learn new? or is everything review. what are the most important things i need to know? I'm working on public speaking, thats one of the reasons i didn't go earlier. I'm really shy.

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone and thinking about trying something new. The school will help you catch up to where you need to be. A lot of the beginning of the year will be review, but most of the material after that will be new or will be based on building on knowledge you should have already. It will be a struggle, but again, your teachers will help you catch up. I would ask your parents to take you now to talk to the guidance counselor there who can help place you into the classes that will offer you the most help. You might also consider trying to get into some summer school classes for this summer so that you can brush up on some basic skills before beginning in the fall. Math and English will probably be more difficult because you can do OK in Science and Social Studies without as much background knowledge. It's hard to say what the most important things you need to know are without knowing where you are when you say you are really behind. What kind of Math are you working on? Can you write a 5 paragraph essay? What is your basic understanding of Science and History like? I can give you a better idea of what to work on if you can share a bit more about these things.

i really need to work on math and writing. I'm probably about 6th grade for math so i need to work a lot on that. writing is really hard for me because I'm really bad at putting my thoughts into words. i think ill do fine with language (besides writing). i haven't done a lot of science, history or social studies. but when i learn it i remember it.

OK, so based on that information, I would say the things you need to work on most are math, and being able to write a 5 paragraph essay, because you will have to do that in both English and History. Study skills might also be something you need to work on, but lots of high schoolers still have issues with that-just stay on top of homework/projects/studying so you don't wind up with an impossible amount of work at the last minute.
The nice thing is that Science and History come around to the same concepts over and over again, so while others in your class might have more background knowledge from the last time they learned it in school, if you can learn it and remember it you will be fine.
For math, try using khanacademy.org this summer-you can start with the 6th grade math and move through it at your own pace. There are videos to teach all the concepts and practice questions to answer until you master each topic-it's really great and completely free. If you are dedicated, I will bet you can get through both 6th and 7th grade Math this summer. Writing might be a little harder, but for that I would try the videos and lessons on learnzillion.com (you can watch math videos there too, but kahnacademy is definitely better for math.
Finally, definitely get in and meet with a guidance counselor because they can be a really great asset and try to set up a time to talk to your teachers about where you are coming from and how you are really motivated to do well and they should all be more than willing to help you too.

Wow in Australia there is 6 years in high school and 6 years in primary
The US does 5 years elementary, 3 years intermediate/middle school, and 4 years high school. It can vary a little from place to place (some have 6th grade in with elementary school).

I agree w/ momnipotent. Khanacademy.com rocks! And they have more than just math, if you want to dig around and try different subjects just to get a feel for how things might be taught.

My brother is a HS English teacher and he has worked with a number of kids who came from home school backgrounds or moved from areas with less than stellar public schools who struggle to adjust to public high school. It is a process, and probably will be hard, but is very doable and hopefully you will have good teachers who will work with you through the process.
Get in a meet with a guidance counselor, show them the curriculum you have been using for homeschool and results from any standardized testing you might have done. Did you belong to a homeschool co-op or know anyone who has made the transition to public school? They/their parents might also be a good resource for you and your family.

May I ask what you have been using? (curriculum wise) as that would help me come up with ideas for you. I think if you are honest with the school you are entering, they can help place you in appropriate classes to get your caught up.
Also, if you are "young for your age/grade" you may be able to give yourself an extra year to catch up. (for example my kids have summer birthdays so I held them back before starting so they are old for their grade, giving them an extra year before college)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back