Hight question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone!!
So Ive been a huge gymnastics fan since I can think. But Ive never had the courage to start training because I was a bit chubby and I didnt want to emaress myself in a leo. Eventhough i was previously a swimmer :rolleyes: Ive lost about 50lbs in the last year and Im really happy about that because I didnt do that for my looks or health, I only did it because I want to start gymnastics. I know Ill never be great because Im allready 19 and way to old but I just realized that Im probaby much to tall. Are there any hight limits?? Im about 6.9 tall :( would I even be able to do anything on bars or beam??

It is a bit late in the game, but if you really want to start there is no better time than now for you given your age. You already lost your weight so why not just go for it. The training and conditioning could only be better for your body -- assuming you know your limitations and you're doing it right. As for the height, it'll probably be a challenge on the bars, especially with the upper level skills but it might take you a while to get there. Then again, I'm only speaking as a parent so it's probable that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to the skills.

What exactly do you mean by 6.9? Do you mean 69 inches or 6.9 feet?

Congratulations on losing 50lbs! That's quite a feat from what I've heard! 19 is a little old, but on the bright side, you're not only past the age where mental blocks most occur plus you're also safe from sudden growth spurts. I'd say try taking an adult class at a local gym and see how you like it. Height doesn't matter as much until you get to the high levels anyway. I'm almost 5'7 and level 5 :D

You can also try trampoline, easier on the body and only one event if gymnastics seems overwhelming. :)

You have made quite an accomplishment by losing 50 lbs. I'd say definitely go for it!! You already know you're not going to the Olympics, but then again, it's a rare gymnast who does!!! Do it to keep in shape, gain some flexibility (always important esp. as we get older), and have fun with it. Some gyms even allow "adult" gymnasts to work out and participate in meets. I hope you decide to go ahead and do it.

I would think at 6 feet 9 inches tall you might be better suited to basketball or volleyball if you're just going to be starting out...

Tried that... Im not good with sports that involve balls. I allways get them in the face or drop them. My parents wanted me to try golf :rotfl:

Ive thought about just sticking with swimming. But its so monotone. It can get really boring swimming up and down 5 hours a day.. (and I cant even compete anymore my last competition was in 2003!!!)

Go for it! There is also no height limit, that would be discrimnation. It is late in your game, but that is fine. It's an amazing sport!

After reading a lot of posts saying that your too tall, too old too this too that.... i thought i better comment.

Well first of all its never too late to start gymnastics and get benefit out of the sport, the heck your tall my friend at gym is extremely tall (not quite 6 foot 9 inches but still tall) and she's one of the best gymnasts in our squad!

Ok well nothing can stop you doing it if you want to, you lost 50 lbs thats great! do gymnastics if you want to in fact learn to fly if you want to do whatever you want to do

and to all you people saying she should do other sports there is no height discrimination or even age so she should go for it!!

anyway have heaps of fun with gymnastics if you choose to!!!!

After reading a lot of posts saying that your too tall, too old too this too that.... i thought i better comment.

Well first of all its never too late to start gymnastics and get benefit out of the sport, the heck your tall my friend at gym is extremely tall (not quite 6 foot 9 inches but still tall) and she's one of the best gymnasts in our squad!

Ok well nothing can stop you doing it if you want to, you lost 50 lbs thats great! do gymnastics if you want to in fact learn to fly if you want to do whatever you want to do

and to all you people saying she should do other sports there is no height discrimination or even age so she should go for it!!

anyway have heaps of fun with gymnastics if you choose to!!!!

Might this post be a hoax?

GREAT!! Ill just learn how to fly!! ;)

I actually dont think it would be descriminating, Imagine how weired it would look if you saw a gymnast who can touch the high bar without standing on her toes :) lol. :D ok. maybe Im not that tall but still. I think most gymnast would go up to my shoulders.

@bookworm: What makes you think that?? THere are tall people out there who are interested in gymnastics.

I think something might be lost in translation. This video and another website lists this woman as the tallest in Germany at 6'9" Dailymotion - Germanys tallest Woman 6ft9-Caroline Welz - ein Leute & Familie Video P erhaps you mean 5 feet 9 inches? Anyways, even if you are 6 foot 9 inches, it doesn't matter. I am a 24 year old learning level 6, so at 19 I think you're young =)

This citation made me think it might be... and yes, there are tall gymnasts but I have never seen one that was 6' 9" and starting out at age 19...but hey, go for it.

This citation made me think it might be... and yes, there are tall gymnasts but I have never seen one that was 6' 9" and starting out at age 19...but hey, go for it.

Welll its not like Im expecting to be national champion or anything. I dont have any expectations, Id just do it for me, fy fitness and hopefully fun. Im used to doing sports and being bad at it. I just really love gymnastics.. You have no Idea how much I admire gymnast or anyone associated with gymnastics.

Surely we're talking 1.69 metres? Germany doesn't even measure height in feet/inches.

Apart from that, the writing makes me think there's something not quite right here, (very unlike the writing style I've seen by most German native-speakers) but hey, if you are genuine, then I certainly wish you all the best with your gymnastics :)

Yes!! Im huuuge:(

Thank you all for replying :)

WOW 6 feet 9 inches is TALL!!

There is no weight or hight limits but being light and compact does have advantages.

You certainly could start at 19 but I know in my area there are no gyms that have an adult program. Our gym did for one season but the insurance was just too great.

Your hight is a factor too. I'm not sure you would be able to move around the bars etc with ease but give it a try if you think you would love it.

If I were your mom I would suggest you might want to consider sports where your hight is an advantage rathere than a disadvantage.

Tried that... Im not good with sports that involve balls. I allways get them in the face or drop them. My parents wanted me to try golf :rotfl:

Ive thought about just sticking with swimming. But its so monotone. It can get really boring swimming up and down 5 hours a day.. (and I cant even compete anymore my last competition was in 2003!!!)

Swimming, diving, Crew (rowing), Track and Field(espcially High Jump), Skiing, are just a few I can think of that would be good for tall people.
Being short I can say that I feel that most sports favor the tall with the exception of Gymnastics and a Jocky.

What exactly do you mean by 6.9? Do you mean 69 inches or 6.9 feet?

Congratulations on losing 50lbs! That's quite a feat from what I've heard! 19 is a little old, but on the bright side, you're not only past the age where mental blocks most occur plus you're also safe from sudden growth spurts. I'd say try taking an adult class at a local gym and see how you like it. Height doesn't matter as much until you get to the high levels anyway. I'm almost 5'7 and level 5 :D

You can also try trampoline, easier on the body and only one event if gymnastics seems overwhelming. :)

Yes tramp would be a good choice. I think the gymnastics with the ribbons and balls etc might be good too if she wants to do gymnasticish stuff.

I think there is probably a translation problem with the height, that or Germany knows how to grow some big women! 6 foot freaking 9 is ridiculously tall for a man, let alone a woman and at 19, if that is true you might need to see a doctor as you probably have a growth hormone issue that could be quite serious. Anyways that aside, if you can find a gym to do it at, go for it. I don't know how they are in other countries but for some reason in the US a lot of gyms have issues allowing adults to train, mostly insurance related. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, I am not going to sit here and say it is going to be easy or you'll be a world champion and if you are tall you will face some issues, although I guess it makes for a much shorter drop off the beam :p

I did mean 6 foot nine but I let the computer convert it. (176cm - btw I dont really stand out in a croud so I dont think I that tall?? :pessimist: I dont really think I need to see a docter I stopped growing about 4 years ago :D (But I did see a docter before that) I cant imagine it being a problem in Germany, I dont think they take the whole thing as serious as in the US. Gymnastics isnt as popular here.
But I think Im not gonna try anyway :( I think CHer062 is right choosing a sport that im much to tall to do wasnt really smart. I just really dont like most sports for tall people. UghIll just stick with swimming :weepy:

Thank you all annyway for taking your time and replying.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back