WAG Hitting feet on bails and paks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know any little tricks to stop hitting my feet. I understand it's easy when you're a tiny 11 year old, but how do gymnasts over 5 foot do it. I just need a way that will always work, because I can do the skills but sometimes when competing the bars are closer and I hit my feet.

First off ask your coach.... You should be shaping on the way up as much as you physically need to miss the bar (as you already know). For the bail, If you have a big arch tap you may want to lessen the arch portion of the tap or scoop enabling you to attain your shape a fraction earlier, making it more consistent. Same for the Pak, but if an arch tap is a must, then executing the arch tap a bit earlier will also help the Pak. However, experimenting with new shapes and a smaller or earlier tap / scoop requires a safe area or spotting to attempt, as it will change the mechanics of a trick a little. So again, seek any and all advice from your coach as I am only speaking generally and have no Idea what your skills actually look like.

I have asked my coach but she is a bit impatient with 'silly little things' like this. I have been trying out different taps above the pit bar, and was just wondering if anyone had something That worked for them.

First off ask your coach.... For the bail, If you have a big arch tap you may want to lessen the arch portion of the tap or scoop enabling you to attain your shape a fraction earlier, making it more consistent.

Like he says, getting into the scoop earlier is a good area to explore with your impatient coach. Here are few thoughts on the little things you can check out with your coach...... offered under the premise that your coach doesn't know what you don't know, and that you don't know what you don't know. Consider this a partial list of hints to get the two of you pointed in the right direction.......

**A slightly deeper scoop with a little less swing. Deeper scoop helps you miss and the slightly slower swing gives you a teensy bit more time to get into the deeper scoop.

**Use your chest and upper core muscles to help transition to the upside down motion. The feeling is similar to hanging inverted on the rings and lowering into a front lever position with you chest and chin tucked in. Try to move slowly and as far as you can to get the feel for the musles, then look for that same sensation as a follow through of your tap.

** Curl your wrists as you move from the tapswing. It should shorten you by in inch.

**Eliminate as many variables as possible.... arches, bent legs, loose downswings, less than 100% effort attempts. In other words keep it all consistent. Here's an example .... a bent leg can bend to many different degrees and mess up the timing and balance of an attempt in multiple degrees. Ten different leg shapes means 10 different reactions you need to learn.... a straight leg will treat you the same way every time and require only one reaction.

Coachp..... I'm not the best bar coach (by far) and offered some of this from direct experience and slightly from intuition. Please correct anything your experience tells you needs correcting.

Gymnastflip and all others...... This is a hint list that is to be explored with the coaches awareness and participation. Just tell the coach you're trying to find something that fits in your mind that will put the coaches corrections to good use. So hey coach how does this look....OR.... do you think it would help me do what you're saying if I tried more of this or that.

Do not try this on your own so you can just show it to the coach when you figure it out and can do it. It hardly ever works that way.

I tell my kids this,
These are so easy they are hard, keep it simple, tight, clean and you will succeed.

I tell my kids this,
These are so easy they are hard, keep it simple, tight, clean and you will succeed.

The hardest thing about coaching is convincing the kids that the skills are pretty easy if they'd follow the coach's directions and buy into the coach's version of the skill. Conditioning and physical preparation, well that's a little different.......

The hardest thing about coaching is convincing the kids that the skills are pretty easy if they'd follow the coach's directions and buy into the coach's version of the skill. Conditioning and physical preparation, well that's a little different.......

I had a button once that said, "If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your coach told you!" So very true....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back