WAG home conditioning plan

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I want to start conditioning and stretching at home. I am currently a level 6 but go to a YMCA so I only practice 9.5 hours a week. I am inflexible, and I'm probably weak compared to club gymnasts. Does anyone have a good home conditioning plan/schedule? Please include how many sets I should do. I think if I have a good, detailed plan I'll be more likely to stick to it. Thanks for the help! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

arms- 30 regular pushups, 30 wide pushups, 30 diamond pushups
30 dips, 2x 10 chin ups, 2x 10 handstand pushups, and then like weights and stuff.
abs- 100 crunches, 100 straight leg crunches, 50 legs up crunches, 50 leg bent in the air crunches, 30 v-ups, 30 lemon sqeezers, 20 leg lifts.

What I would recommend kind of depends.

What kind of conditioning or strength work do you do during your practices? What days and for how long?

What kind of equipment do you have at home? Do you have a pullup bar or any weights?

What I would recommend kind of depends.

What kind of conditioning or strength work do you do during your practices? What days and for how long?

What kind of equipment do you have at home? Do you have a pullup bar or any weights?
My practices are Tuesday 5:30-8:30, Thursday 5:30-8:30, and Saturday 9-1:30. We don't really condition much at all. We sometimes do like 15 minutes of legs, arms, and abs. Plus a bit of conditioning during events. At home I have a chin-up bar and ankle weights plus a panel mat, floor beam, trampoline if it matters.

arms- 30 regular pushups, 30 wide pushups, 30 diamond pushups
30 dips, 2x 10 chin ups, 2x 10 handstand pushups, and then like weights and stuff.
abs- 100 crunches, 100 straight leg crunches, 50 legs up crunches, 50 leg bent in the air crunches, 30 v-ups, 30 lemon sqeezers, 20 leg lifts.
How often do you think these should be done? As nice it would be to have time for all of these, I don't.

Also I'd like flexibility to be included in this plan if possible. Such as oversplits and similar.

One of the things to start figuring out is how much time you do have. Do you only have time on your non workout days (MWF). I'd leave Sunday for resting or maybe some light activity.

How low are your splits? There is no need for oversplits unless you can do full splits without turning your rear hip out (which is bad form anyways). How is your pike and bridge flexibility?

How many pullups and pushups can you do in a row? How about leg lifts from a bar?

I prefer tailored programming rather than cookie cutter programming.

Thank you so much for working with me to figure something out!
I don't have any of my splits down. When I first jump in them, my left splits are about 5.5 inches off the ground. If I stretch for awhile, they can go to maybe 1 inch off. My right splits are similar but when I stretch them, they take longer to go down (if that makes sense). My middles are horrible. They are almost a foot of the ground, and when I stretch them they barely go any farther.
My pikes are pretty much the only thing I'm flexible in. I can put my face in my knees without any pain. I can also flex my feet, grab them, and put my elbow to the floor without hurting at all.
My bridge flexibility is bad. My shoulders are extremely unflexible and theyy cause my bridges to be bad too. My shoulder end up maybe an inch in front of my hands. (they aren't past my hands). My legs are straight and knees together.

I'm not sure on how many chinups, pushup, and leglifts in a row I can do but I'll try and roughly guess. chinups-at least 10, maybe 15. pushups-I know I can do 30 GOOD ones. Maybe a few more. Leglifts- Honestly I don't know. I've never really conditioned these past the 15 we do as part of warmup. I don't find them particulary hard, but I don't know how many I can do.

One thing that my mom pointed out to me the other day that you might like to know is I'm genetically inflexible. My mom is very strong, but even when she was younger, she could never be flexible. When I stretch, I could get to a flexible position, ( For example I did my left splits yesterday after 15 min of splits and oversplits) but an hour later I'm back where I started. Does that make sense?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back