Hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know, I know, there are like a bajillion threads on gym hours, but I'm kind of confused.

As a L5, I went for 2, 2 hour practices, and 1, 2 hour practice that was just strength, conditioning, and dance (we call it tops, but not the real tops:p). So I was only at the gym for 6 hours a week, yet I won states my last two seasons.:confused:

As a L6, I go for 2, 3 hour practices, and 1, 2 hour practice for tops. I go to the gym for 8 hours a week, and am the reigning state champion.:confused:

How does this happen? I thought it was totally normal, but whenever I see a post talking about L4s going 7.5 hours a week I get very confused. How long do you guys practice? Do you know anyone who practices a relatively few hours and is still successful? Just confused.:confused: Thanks in advance for all of your input.

P.S. I'm really not trying to brag or anything like that, so please don't think that I am. I'm just honestly confused about how someone can train so many less hours than others and yet still learn about as much as someone who trains many more hours. (hope that made sense)

Last edited:
It probably depends on your work habits, and how much you can get out of shorter practice times.

Right now I am Level 5 (which is similar to level 6 in the US) and I only train 6 hours a week. The girls I train against normally train for at least 10 hours a week, normally more, but i still do relatively well in competition.

Thanks. We work hard during practice, and go to three events plus conditioning at every practice (and 30 minutes for stretching). We still have fun, but practice is very focused.

I'm in USAG, what do you guys compete?

i am currently a L8 and i go 17 hours a week. as a L5 i went for two 3 hour practices and one 4 hour. total of 10. L6-one 3 hour and two 4 hour. total 11. L7-one 3 hour and three four hour. total 15. L8 right now-one 2 hour, one 3 hour, and three 4 hours. total 17. the hours u go r totally fine. dont worry. at least youre attending every practice!!

Once I start at my new gym I'll pay 155 every 6 weeks and I only get one hour a week.My mom was a gymnast so she helps me a lot too.Im going to go up one my hours though

I get astounded when I hear how few hours girls train in the US altogether. Australian levels are quite similar to US levels. The average level 4 in Australia would train 12-14 hours per week. The average level 5 would train 14-16 hours per week. And that is average many train many more hourse.

it probably depends on how hard you work. other gyms in the state trains a lot more than we do...yet we get a lot accomplished because we don't goof off all the time...well, (you can't not have SOME fun right?) haha
i am a level 6 and i practice 10 hours a week: monday and wednesday 3:45-6:45 and friday from 3:45-7:45.

I am a former level 4, working level 5 (US), although I hope to bump up to L6 within the year. I train 12 hours a week (4 hours of practice, 3 days a week).

How do you guys do that? I would love to be able to! A breakdown of our practice looks like this:

4:00 - 4:15: warm up
4:15 - 4:45: strength training
4:45 - 5:30: 1st event
5:30 - 6:15: 2nd event
6:15 - 6:30: break (we have lots of little kids who need a snack break)
6:30 - 7:15: 3rd event
7:15 - 8:00: 4th event and flexibility

I don't know how you guys have time to fit everything in! Do you not do all of your events in one practice? I don't think my team lags or is lazy, really, and many of our better gymnasts utilize the time well. Is it because we have groups of 10 girls to one coach?

It could be because of your work ethic, and how tough your coaches are. For example, if your form is very good that gives you a huge bonus. If all of you girls have great form, that gives the coaches more time to focus on the skills themselves and repeatition, rather than correcting your form.

How do you guys do that? I would love to be able to!

I don't know how you guys have time to fit everything in! Do you not do all of your events in one practice? I don't think my team lags or is lazy, really, and many of our better gymnasts utilize the time well. Is it because we have groups of 10 girls to one coach?

I don't plan my train. Principally is depend the day, some days I can do only beam and vault for example. Normally I do all the events per train. I've got a friend that she does that, she has all the train planned . I can't understand how she does.:confused: But that's depend each gymnast.

I am traing level 10 and I train 31 hours and 15 mins but our level 4-6 girls (2-a-days) train 21 hours and 15 mins and our level 9-10 (1-a-days) train 21 hours and 15 mins and lastly our level 4-6 (1-a-days) train 14 hours and 30 mins

Is it because we have groups of 10 girls to one coach?

we also have between 8-10 girls per coach, and we have 3 hr practices, and we try to work hard. we go 3 hrs 5 times per week so im working out 15 hrs a week but i am training level 8

i think that 15 hrs per week is reasonable for a level 8, am i incorrect?

and i agree it just depends on how well utilize time i am also reigning state champ so i think i practice enough

just an update, I am now a Level 8 and train 15.5 hours a week (for the summer at least), so to gymnast708 I think that 15 hours is completely reasonable for a level 8.

In my opinion, as long as if you are working hard and not goofing off during practice, what needs to be done will be done. Increasing hours can be beneficial to improve indurance and strength, and more time would be available to work skills. My gym's team does not train a lot at all, but yet they have a fairly good reputation. It depends on the gymnasts, their attitudes, and sometimes how pushy the coach can be. :)

I am a L5 and I train 13 hours a week I used to train 10 hours a week. Summers are the most intense because we have more free time so we practice long and it so HOT. Our gym needs more air conditioning in the most serious way. Anyway I think it's great that you could be so good in so few hours. I don't think I could. :) :)

I'm training level 8 and I go 5 days a week for 4 hours, 20 hours. Sometimes it's really hard because we have to get up at 8 am on Saturday after we had gymnastics until 7:30 the night before.

Our level 4's go for between 9 and 12 hours a week.
Our level 5 and 6's go for between 12 and 16 hours a week.
And the optional's go for between 20 and 23 hours a week.

Im training level 8 and go five days a week 4 hours. So 20 hours. All optinals go that amount of tome from the level 6's trying to compete 7 and those going for level 10. I would say we are just abount in the middle of hours some people go more some go less. We end up doing every event 4 times a week and vault only 3. Also one of our floor rotations is an hour of dance with a dance teacher. We condition and strtch for an hour every practice. And pay I think it is $305 a month.

level 4 go:2 days a week 4 hours
total:8 hours

level 5 and 6 go:3 days a week 4 hours
total:12 hours
The level 6's have an option of going to practice on saturday for 4 hours which is one of our level 7-10 practices.

Fasttrack: I'm pretty sure they go 5 days a week 4 hours. I'm not positive on that.

I don't think it really matters how many hours just how you spend it. If you work hard in the small amount of time you have and don't slack off you will be succssesful!!!!!(I know I spelled that wrong!:)) So I'm assuming you are one of those people who don't slack off and that is why you have been very sucessful

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back