WAG How are the locations of NAT/NIT chosen for WAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As the title says. How are the locations of NAT/NIT chosen?

MAG are in Cali. WAG Easterns and Westerns were in cool places.

What is it that make USAG choose the locations it does.

I am thinking it should be in a major air hub location and in a city where there are other things to do besides the meet.

I was very close to going to Jackson, but the flight gods conspired against me. $1500 is just too much to pay for a weekend jaunt. It would make more sense to have Nationals in a place that was within easy reach for the whole of the US. No?

yes, flights into Jackson were hard to come by I hear. I like that it is in the middle of the country and not either the east or west coast, but Jackson isn't exactly a mega - for anything.

Just as pricey sadly. Too late now as well.

Really wanted to work out how locations are chosen. Most away meets that clubs do are to locations filled with family activities and tons of hotel options. Orlando, NOLA, Vegas, San Diego etc etc Trying to work out what the motivation is behind having such important meets in places that are a little off the beaten path.

I live with an hour of 3 major airports, with a couple other small ones not too far. from here to Jackson connecting flights were around $450 right after Regionals, last week up over $700.

We had an xcel regionals there a couple yrs back. Extremely expensive flights. I think last year's 9/10 regionals was held there too. So it definitely is winning the bids. Maybe the venue and expenses for the meet are less expensive than other areas?

There isn't much to do. We literally flew in, competed, and flew out, all within 24hrs - then flew to FL for a much needed vacation after a stressful season...

Bog -

While Boise (the location of this year's Westerns) is a nice city, I don't think I would call it a "cool place". And, believe me, it was not cheap nor easy to get in and out of there this past weekend.

To answer your question, it is purely a bid process. Clubs, States, or even cities put together a bid and try and entice USAG to come to thier city.

Ah I wondered how it happened, thanks for that info.

Boise, hmm, as you say not terribly exciting.

I guess I will stick to big meets in cool places. Chicago Style was great.

Yeah it was very, very cold. But I do live in Quebec, so much the same as home. I think next year I will work on a warm weather trip.

Umm yea Boise is nice but not much to do. It was nice to slow down for a few days and relax though. As far as MAG, I will ask Tim how the bid process is awarded when I see him this weekend at Nationals.

Wasn't too thrilled with Boise a few years back and surprised they got westerns again so soon. Do clubs not like to bid on it?

From my recent observation, a Western/Eastern is a ton of work with not a lot of return. I will estimate that for most of the sessions at Westerns this past weekend there couldn't have been more than 150-200 people in the stands. in my dd's session, not even 100. If its a cash cow, I couldn't see where the milk is.

From my recent observation, a Western/Eastern is a ton of work with not a lot of return. I will estimate that for most of the sessions at Westerns this past weekend there couldn't have been more than 150-200 people in the stands. in my dd's session, not even 100. If its a cash cow, I couldn't see where the milk is.

Wow that is very interesting. I assumed, albeit wrongly, that Easterns/Westerns would be a big draw locally. So there is the answer, iif it is not a cash cow at all, why would a gym bid on it. Because we do know that hosting a meet is a ton of work.

A big draw locally, as in the town where the event is, right? I think it would only draw people if the town was a big gymnastics town, like say Salt Lake, Dallas, etc; someplace where gymnastics is common knowledge. Another factor is advertising; I didn't see a single piece of advertising for Westerns anywhere. Drawing a crowd of anyone other than the competing gymnast's families is going to be very, very tough. I will guess the same for JO Nationals. I mean, think about it - what is the draw? I don't mean to demean anyone, but is somebody going to travel or even give up an afternoon to watch Level 10 gymnastics (other than family members)? Even if there is a big name Lvl 10 competing, like Mary Lou's daughter, its a stretch.

All good points. So I suppose having the meet in a town like, Orlando, or Vegas would add more of a draw for families. Otherwise it is just one parents and in and out as fast as possible. But at the end of the day it is just another meet.

Do you find attendance is higher in your regular season meets?

A big draw locally, as in the town where the event is, right? I think it would only draw people if the town was a big gymnastics town, like say Salt Lake, Dallas, etc; someplace where gymnastics is common knowledge. Another factor is advertising; I didn't see a single piece of advertising for Westerns anywhere. Drawing a crowd of anyone other than the competing gymnast's families is going to be very, very tough. I will guess the same for JO Nationals. I mean, think about it - what is the draw? I don't mean to demean anyone, but is somebody going to travel or even give up an afternoon to watch Level 10 gymnastics (other than family members)? Even if there is a big name Lvl 10 competing, like Mary Lou's daughter, its a stretch.

I can't imagine the general public coming either, especially with some of the entry prices we have seen!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back