WAG How can people even say gymnastics isn't a sport?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can barely keep myself from hurting people when they say something like "gymnastics is easy". If there is any sport out there that isn't easy, its gymnastics! Sure, every move looks easy when executed by a gymnast who knows what they are doing, but then when you get up there and try it it's not so easy, even the most basic moves like a cartwheel are difficult for most people who have never tumbled before!

The folks that "dis" our sport do so very merrily as ring'round the golfers, bowlers, chess players, dart throwers.....and dare I say it, (cue the screeching violins) Nascar drivers.

I have to give credit to all participants of all sports, even the ones I listed.....yeah, including Nascar and NHRA drivers, but I'm stuck on the concept that you have to be athletic, like in shape. So drivers.....Start your engines, right after you do a handspring vault!!!

Geez......!!!!!!

I don't think most knowledgeable sports people who argue that gymnastics is not a sport is "dissing" gymnastics. I think it is undisputed everywhere and by everyone that gymnastics requires enormous and difficult skills as well as raw physical ability. And I don't think you'll have any arguments from anyone about gymnasts being athletes. The problem I think is what people define or think a sport is. For most, they feel sports have two major components: 1) athleticism, and 2) a clear winner.

Gymnastics lacks the second component. Games like poker and chess satisfy the second condition, but not the first. They aren't sports because they don't require anything athletic. Activities like gymnastics and synchronized swimming satisfy the first condition, but not the second. They're athletic, but competition is totally "artificial". You take something beautiful and try to quantify or rank it. It's like judging yoga, or grading painters. How do you give Van Gogh a 9.6 and Monet a 9.4?

The primary virtue of gymnastics is aesthetic, and the competitive aspect they say is problematic. They are not denying it is a demanding physical activity that requires an enormous amount of talent and practice. But a sport to them is like football, baseball, basketball, hockey, and soccer, anyone watching knows who won. Races — sprints, marathons, you name it — have a clear winner. If you need judges from seven countries to vote on who won, then they feel it is not a sport.

In sports like basketball and soccer, whoever scores the most points wins. In races, whoever finishes first wins, and with the aid of modern technology, that too is clear. The Summer Olympics feature events like weight-lifting and pole vaulting. Whoever lifts the most weight or vaults the highest wins such competitions.

All sports to them has a clear winner. It is that aspect that they find problematic not that they are discounting gymnasts are not athletes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back