Coaches How do you deal...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom&Coach

Coach
Proud Parent
I have one girl (this season L3) who refuses to condition and strength train... She will just lay there and not listen to my direction when everyone else is. Once I do get her to do only a few moves, she is in tears or complains of a injury...
I have spoken with the mother once, but nothing at all changed... Im quick to tell a parent if it seems like the child does not want to be there, its only fair, but they dont care. So now this child is taking more energy and effort from me and away from the rest of her teammates. IDK what to do...

She should go to the office when she does those behaviors. Away from the group. Do not give it any attention or energy. Don't want to do it, don't have to. Then make specific and clear strength goals that are needed to compete, ie no 10 pullovers, no bars. No sprint or whatever leg exercise, no vault. No relieve hold, no beam. First explain all this to the kids and then see what she does. Maybe she will stop.

If not, notify the parent that their child has refused to participate in conditioning on more than one occasion and is in danger of not being able to compete. Would they like to do another year on preterm or give it a trial basis of another month with level 3 to see if she can handle the increased hours and expectations.

Recommend more sleep and a meal with plenty of protein and a multivitamin before gym. Assure the parents that behavior like this is not uncommon, but remain firm that it must improve if she is to compete this year.

This year, head coach has put girls in charge of their own conditioning. They have workout plans. They have to complete the conditioning listed and a coach/parent has to sign off on it that it was done. It is nice seeing girls waiting in line working on their relevé holds or leg lifts.
If for some reason a girl can't get it all done at gym, she CAN work on it at home, but "the proof is in the pudding" so if a parent falsifies that her gymnast did the work when she didn't, it looks bad on both of them and the parent's affirmation is no longer considered valid.

There is a lot less resistance now than there was when everybody had to condition together.

She is not cut out for team, so move her back to pre team until she is ready.

I would not be allowing her to participate in any part of the class if she did not do the conditioning.

I would take the following steps
1. Try to encourage her in some way first
2. Tell her firmly she needs to do the work
3. Warn her that if she does not do the work she will be sitting out
4. Sit her out for 10 minutes
5. If she still refuses then send her home because she can't complete the training session if she hasn't done the conditioning.

Personally I wouldn't let her workout. You either do the conditioning and the workout or you don't. If she didn't do the conditioning from the day before she can either come in and immediately complete it and then join the workout, and condition with everyone when time comes again. Or, she can not come in.

It might sound harsh, but I try to keep workouts fun, but my kids know conditioning is conditioning. It's what allows them to learn new and harder skills, and it's what keeps them safe.

So my policy: no conditioning, no workout. Sorry, condition or go home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back