Parents How Do You Get Over YOUR Fear?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
So dd still doesn't have most of the level 7 bar skills, but she is getting there. The past few practices on bars the coaches are helping her less and less on her giants and telling her that she did one without a spot at all, etc.

So last night she told me that at today's practice she was going to do her giants by herself on the pit bar. My first inclination was to say "no, don't do that, wait for a coach to be there", but I caught myself in time and bit my tongue. I tried to act like I didn't care and encourage her all at the same time LOL. I have no idea if I did a good job or not. Only about 6 weeks until the first meet and she will be doing them by herself then, and she has to start sometime right? I was just suddenly very scared for her to try this by herself.

While I really want to see her do them, I think I would be too scared to watch. I won't be at gym tonight so I just have to wait it out until she gets home at 9 to see how she did - it might be a long day! How do you, as the parent, get over your fears of your child doing big skills? And I know it will only get worse as she progresses and I don't want to think about that.

I think you just have to follow her lead. I think it's great that she is excited and determined to try them on her own on the pit bar. And think about all of us parents with kids at gyms with NO pit bar...talk about fear!! LOL

don't watch...then wait for her to tell you that she's done them. surprise!:)

. How do you, as the parent, get over your fears of your child doing big skills? And I know it will only get worse as she progresses and I don't want to think about that.

Agree with dunno, don't watch! And you are right, it only gets worse. By the time you get to Level 9, I think you are just praying your dd makes it through a meet without a major fall. All you can do is remind yourself that the coaches know what they are doing and they won't let her try it on her own if they aren't certain she can do it. I'm quite sure they've taught her how to fall safely. In time, giants will be old hat and you will be worried about the next skill.

Haha, I'm with you on this! DD has allegedly been working "last halfs" of her L7 bars routine, which is rumored to have a giant in it. I've also heard something about handstand-BHSs "coming along" -- though all I've actually seen is one heck of a good beam burn.

I do have to go to the practice meet this weekend, I suppose! But lately when I'm there for a practice, I oddly find it much more fun to watch the boys working on trying to stick a front handspring on the floor or not fall off the pommel horse when they're doing their ridiculously awkward front swings. :)

I can already say that I will be making a really concerted effort never to be in the gym when they are working on vault next summer! Good luck to you. I hope she gets 'em great and wows you with them at her first meet!

conquering fear: don't watch practice, hold your breath during bars and beam routine, and trust, trust, trust the coaches that they know what they are doing. When you are with the best coach in your state, the trust comes easy.

My daughter is off to college for gymnastics and I can tell you I have never gotten over my fear of watching her on the beam...and that's 14 years and counting....I do say the rosary...

Well, I guess she attempted them. She made the cast to handstand (still learning that one too!) and went for it 3 times. She never got around all the way, but I am so proud of her for trying! She can't wait to go to practice tonight and try again. Thanks for the tips!

I agree with don't watch.
For the last couple summers, when new skills are being learned, I do my best to stay away.
My 10 yo dd is doing double backs. I admit, everyday I waited for that phone call about her getting hurt, but I tried to stay busy. ;) She competed the double back, back tuck on beam, straddle back and a couple other scary skills this past weekend. Not sure I could have watched her in the learning process.

My DD peeled off the high bar twice in one week, landed on the back of her neck the first time and on her face the second. I unfortunately saw both. She really likes to "go for it" at practice and it scares the poo out of me. If I am there, I try to get wrapped up in conversation, instead of watching.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back