Coaches How do you organize rotations?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

kholla

Coach
I coach a level 4 team with one other coach and 8 gymnasts. We're on each event for 45 minutes (3 events per day), and have somewhat limited space on some events (bars: 1 set of bars, a little mat and floor and wall space; vault: runway leading up to table, tumble trak, and an additional vault runway). We've tried a couple different systems to run each rotation, but I'm curious to hear other options. We try to set it up so that they're all doing something all the time, because otherwise there are problems between them (budging in line, stepping on feet, etc) Here's what we've tried:

bars: have 8 stations set up. Have timed rotations-3 or 4 minutes per station. I like this because each gymnast gets to each station. Another one we've done is having 8 stations set up, and they have to get to each station three times during the 45 minutes. I like this because it gives them a little more control over their practice.
One problem we have is that they do not do the drills at the stations correctly, no matter how many times we try to correct them. They also have pretty bad listening skills, but that's a whole other story.

What have other people done?
Thanks!

It sounds like you have a good system set up. The reality it that you can't be everywhere atone. Set yourself up at the one or two most important stations and focus your main corrections there, but station yourself so that you can see the whole group and keep an eye on everything. You might also consider bringing in a senior gymnast to help out. The kids really look up to these girls and they can have a discount on their fee's , or vouchers to spend at the pro shop or something as a reward.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back