Parents How do you prepare for a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Profmom, hahahahahahahahahahaha...lolololololo...:) the sage of gymnastics time.:)

Profmom I laughed so hard I cried! You nailed so I give you a perfect 10! I see no deductions in your sequence of pre meet events :)

bwahaha....and you forgot one..."where are my grips?" "Didn't you bring them home after practice last night?" "No, now we have to stop by the gym!"

Profmom too Funny! And yes, we have made last minute sidetrips to the gym to get grips and music....and there was the meet where we lost power during the night...fortunately woke up on time, but tried to french braid my dd's hair by candlelight at 6am...
To OP, as far as awards go, different states do it differently. In our state L2 and L3 do not do placements at all, only achievement awards, so everyone gets ribbons and medals of different colors based on their score. And hair glitter is lots of fun! We stock up on it at Walmart right after Halloween it is on clearance. And, no, you do not sound like an idiot at all! We have all been there when we didn't have a clue what to expect! My dd's first meet was a large meet (Capital Cup) and I was very confused, couldn't figure out if she was competing, just warming-up, or what the heck was going on!

I think everybody has covered it for you. I have a 9 yr old level 5 and I can tell you have she prepares. She doesn't. LOL! Depending on the session, I make sure she gets to bed at a decent time. If it is a morning session, she doesn't eat a big breakfast. Maybe some yogurt and a banana, something light that provides energy. She does much better if her belly isn't weighed down. She pigs out when the meet is over though. LOL! Her coach taught her how to breath and relax before an event such as beam. You can see her with her eyes closed taking deep breathes, while waiting for the girls beam score before hers to go up. Most importantly, she doesn't take herself to seriously, in the end it is only a meet.

I have a L2 gymmie this year too. Her first meet is in a couple weeks. I understand that you are a little nervous to ask the other moms questions, but don't be! I have learned SO much from the more experienced moms. One of our little L2's has a sister that is an 8yo L7....she is quite good. Anyway, her mom is one of the sweetest ladies I've encountered at the gym. She gives me little tips and things to prepare for (like $20 entry per person at the door of many meets.....WHAT!?!? lol). My point is that all of those "more experienced" moms were in your shoes just a few short years ago. Most of them are more than happy to help you out and pass down the wisdom they have learned over the years. Good luck!

Before you have a heart attack, I don't think $20 at the door is the norm. I think the most I've paid is $10 or $12 and most are more in the $5-$8 range. I'm sure it depends on where you live and the meet venue. And, of course, that's per person, so if the whole family is there, it can definitely get pricy.

And, of course, that's per person, so if the whole family is there, it can definitely get pricy.
That's my main concern....There are 5 of us in our immediate family alone. I told my friend that I'll just have to bring the extra cash with me and make sure that I'M the one paying at the door. I think DH would have a heart attack, but what he doesn't know won't kill him. hehe

Last edited:
That's my main concern....There are 5 of us in our immediate family alone. I told my friend that I'll just have to bring the extra cash with me and make sure that I'M the one paying at the door. I think DH would have a heart attack, but what he doesn't know won't kill him. hehe
I try to think of them as donations to the host gym's booster club, because if I don't, I get really annoyed that they want to charge me extra after what I've already paid for her to be there.

I found that getting my daughter to talk about her expectations helped. Instead of telling her what I wanted her to do, I asked what she wanted to do. We have also found that a lucky stuffed animal in her gym bag does a lot to calm the nerves. My little one is seven and just having her favorite bear with her helps her to keep calm before a meet.

Thanks everyone for the advice and play by plays. Hysterical and very helpful. I'll be very lucky if I don't forget something. Knowing me it will be the cash or the camera. Lol. What ever is the most important will be the one thing I mess up. I may have to make a check list. But I'm glad they give something to all of the participants at this age. I'd hate for her to be disappointed. The first meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back