WAG How important is that smile?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have so much trouble with smiling during my floor and beam routines. I used to smile a lot when I was in dance! On floor it would definitely help if my music wasn't so serious (everyone in xcel silver at my gym has the same music that the head coach chose). My floor music is "Ja'i ho" if you're wondering. I guess I'm also just very focused on my skills. Someday I'll figure out how to smile and do a nice routine at the same time!

That's not true. It's up to 0.30 for artistry on beam and floor.

Yep...the up to 0.3 for artistry applies to optional, compulsories and Xcel. Plus the up to 0.15 for quality of expression(projection,emotion,focus) and up to 0.15 for quality of gymnast's movement to reflect style/musicality of the choreography in compulsories.[/QUOTE

Fuzi and wandrewsjr......DD had an inhouse meet a few weeks ago and the judges gave the girls notes on their deductions. DD lost artistry points on the floor. Would one of you please explain artistry points? Thank you.

Gladly. Artistry is performing the routine in an engaging and entertaining way. Beyond that, it can be defined in many different ways, much of which is subjective. In the Xcel, compulsory, and optional levels, you can lose up to 0.30 for lack of artistry on beam and floor. It is designed to help distinguish the technically proficient gymnast from the technically proficient gymnast who also puts on a show or draws the audience into her performance.

A smile can help, but you don't have to be smiley to demonstrate artistry. It can be the flourishes and energy in the fingertips, a lifted chin at the end of elements, and a focused or pleasant facial expression. What is not artistic is the gymnast who stares at her feet or the beam throughout the routine, who sticks her tongue out, who has robotic movements, who who looks terrified or tortured throughout her routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back