MAG how long do skills/power stay with you? question for gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
hi,
what if you can do all stuff that olympic gymnasts can do

if you stop training,

how long will this power stay in your body? cuz, i remember, gymnast muscle power stays for a long time with you - because you spent a lot of time getting and developing this power

so how long does gymnastic muscles / abilities / power stay with you if you stop training?

1 year? what do you think guys?

That will depend... if you stay active by doing other activities, it's going to stay longer. But even if it's a different activity, some of the qualities stay.

During my studies, I had to perform a direct VO2 max test on a bike. You know the kind of test were the resistance is getting harder and harder until you just can't do it anymore. Very interesting as I had my heart rate and blood pressure taken and gas (oxygen and CO2) analysis done during all the test. So to do a long story short, During the 2 last minutes of the test (don't forget that the resistance is getting harder), my heart rate stayed at 192. But I was able to complete these 2 minutes because of my leg muscles. When my heart was at it's maximum, my muscles still could manage a higher load. I was said that's something you only get when you start training young. I started gymnastics at age 5. I stopped at 15, this test was done at 22.

So, I could say I kept that ability. And I swear it was a true maximum test... should have seen my head at the end lol. Gymnastics helped me develop my anaerobic capacities. The proof is I was able to do these 2 minutes. Now I'm differently active (mostly biking, hinking and going to a fitness center) but I usually train at an intensity that is mostly aerobic, so it had a more or less important impact on the test I think.

I would also say I'm pretty good at core exercises... kept the control of these muscles :)

well, i'm old and can still perform a few things. some things i won't do, like tumble. don't want to rupture my achilles. :)

Depends on the person. We had a guy graduate 2 or 3 years ago and he came by last week after not doing gymnastics that entire time and did a double back on floor with only 1 warm-up pass before. And then some people get injuries are out for 4 months and then have to re-learn and get the muscle back for multiple skills. It just depends.

If you get to the point where you just couldn't get any stronger and really refined the skills.......For a long time....a very, very long time, you'll have about 90% the strength you had at your peak. The strength will go away first, but you can still do the skills, ACL, AC joint, and achillies willing, if your technique is still in muscle memory.

Well, one of my friends pulled off an IC a few years ago after not doing one for at least 10 years. He was just shy of 40 then but his gym routine was kinda fluffy bunny maintenance stuff at the time. Japanese collegiate gymnast so thats put him at about 15 years out of training at the time.

If you completely stopped training? Eventually your body is going to shed that muscle and convert muscle fibers as it's unnecessary bulk and kcal requirements. However the joint tissue is gonna last a lot longer.

The more years spent training, the slower the decrease over time.

Core strength is the last to go and extremity strength, especially in the upper body is the first to go. Probably because it's not used as much as the lower body. Stuff like pullups and dip strength.

Handstand ability and body awareness pretty much stays however except for high level stuff like multiple twists. Those just get rusty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back