WAG How long does a floor routine need to be

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
I just received DDs floor music for the year and its so short. Its 1:07 long. I am not sure if she is competing 8 or 9 yet but wanted to know what the rules say about routine length.

I'm not sure if there is a rule for minimum length, only maximum length. I do know that, for my DD's floor music (level 7), there was a short version that was about 1:15 and a long verson that was just under 1:30 (which I think is the longest it is allowed to be? Someone correct me if I'm wrong) and HC seemed to think that the short version was too short if she was going to be able to use the same music for level 8. Did HC pick out the music? Does HC do the choreography? Maybe he/she just prefers shorter routines? I guess the upside would be less "extra stuff" that might incur deductions and the downside would be that she won't have a lot of recovery time between tumbling passes.

Minimum time is 30 sec, maximum 1:30. I would say 1:07 is an average time for level 7(we tend to keep level 7's at 60 sec, like MaryA said, the less "extra stuff" the better), a little shorter than average for level 8 and definately on the short end for level 9, but not unheard of. Mostly would depend on how much dance is included in to routine. 1:07 is plently of time for 3 tumbling passes and a dance pass, but gets a little tight if trying to fit in multiple dance connection passes for bonus at level 9.

Hmm. She not s sure great tumbler and thats what may hold her back in level 8. Not sure what the plan is but she might need more then 1 leap pass for combination since the tumbling might be a little watered down.

My dds floor is about 1.10 as a L7 last year and hopefully will be an L8 this year with the same music. So your dds time sounds like it would be ok for now.

It is my impression that unless it is under 30 seconds there will not be any concrete deductions or penalties for the time alone. Of course a routine that seems really short may certainly incur some artistry deductions. Our daughter's L10 routine last year was 45 seconds exactly. She had four tumbling passes, a turn, an extended leap series, and a yoga stretch. I'm sure she lost some artistry points but she is a strong tumbler so the difficulty was there and her floor scores didn't hold her back from nationals. She is working on putting in some of the filler dance stuff this year but, honestly, it is still a struggle for her so she may be competing something very similar again.

you have to be an amazing athlete/gymnast to fit in all the requirements in 45 seconds and especially at level 10. that's a routine i would like to see.:)

Agree with Dunno, 4 passes (plus the dance pass and turn) in 45 sec! She must be such a gifted athlete. I want to see it too!!

I don't think it is that short - our coach likes our music to be a minute exactly - less time on floor = less deductions. and that is incredible - 4 tumbling passes plus turn and leaps in 45secs! Woah!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back