WAG How long to hold splits?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

wizzie

I used to be really flexible when I was younger, but not anymore. My right split is about 5 inches off the ground and my left one is about 6. My middle one is about 15 inches, really bad. How long should I hold them for and how many times a day? Thank you!

I really want my splits and when I really want something I will try my best to get it. I come up a lot when I do it but I've improved from being up more than you are in the last two weeks to about 1-2 inches off the ground. Just do it as many times a day as you remember for a few minutes. Or as long as you can handle it.

gymnastics=10% talent 90% hard work

What I did was I did each split for 30-45 secs and I would switch to another split and I would go through all the splits 3-4 times. I tried doing this 2-3 times a day. Stay committed and you can do it!! :D

Thank you everyone! What do I do with my hands? Some people at practice put them on the ground, some put them in the air. Does putting them in the air make your legs work harder?

If you them on the ground, you are probably leaning forward a bit. Ideally arms out to sides with torso vertical. Enjoy that stretch/suck.

I personally like holding 2 minutes each split. Then at the end of 2 minutes I hold my hands up for 10-20 seconds. I do this a few times while watching tv. I'm really inflexible and this has helped me!

Hold them as long as you can stand--then count to 10 slowly before getting out. =)

I used to be really flexible when I was younger, but not anymore. My right split is about 5 inches off the ground and my left one is about 6. My middle one is about 15 inches, really bad. How long should I hold them for and how many times a day? Thank you!

Being 'older' now, you may have more muscle than when you were 'younger'. That is a problem we are always faced with, strong ones that don't have good flexibility and flexible ones without strength. We are always trying to have both! :) I always have my girls due heavy stretching (5minutes in each position in over splits with proper form) at the end of gym when their muscles are already warmed up, as it seems to really help. Something that really makes a difference for them is I ask that they work on their splits right after they take a hot bath. They are always amazed at how much that improves them. You might want to give that a try as well. Keep at them and you will get them. :)

To note, if after you have done a proper warmup and your muscles are still very tight in your stretches, such as splits, you should probably skip the stretching. This can be happen after some grueling time in splits, if you are really pushing your max flexibility, especially if held for a long time or as long as you can.

So, after a grueling max session, it's alright to lay off for a day or two if needed to allow the muscles to recover (since stretching basically is about creating microtears in the tissuess that the body will then adapt to).

Thank you all! I will definitely try the hot bath. I usually static stretch after I go running, so that is when I do my splits.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back