Parents How long to work through the twisties?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momnipotent

Proud Parent
Judge
DS is having a huge fear issue with his barani. He says he twists when he doesn't mean to and every time it happens it scares him so much he can't even do regular front flips anymore. His coaches have been amazing and patient in helping him work through it, but nothing seems to be helping and he is really getting down on himself and discouraged about it. He is also the kind of kid who, if you tell him, "no stress, just start working on it when you're ready" will never be ready. He won't even try it into a pit (because the first one he tried he meant to do front pike but did barani instead and then couldn't even do front pikes into the pit.) I know everyone is different, but it has been 4 months and it seems to be getting worse instead of better and he needs it for 2/3 events. Is there a ballpark for how long it normally takes a gymnast to work through this issue? Anything we can do at home to help? Would doc Ali be beneficial in this case or not really because twisties are vestibular?

That's a tough one. I know many kids go through this when learning to twist. Not sure if that helps. Do you think he is really scared of the skill or is it because he doesn't always know when he will twist? It might help to go back to progressions such as dive rolls to build back to basic front tucks. Then go to baranis again?

Seconding Skschlag. With time and patience, he will work through this OK. What level is he? Is he having any trouble with FHS? If he can still do FT, I can't really imagine a scenario in which he can't simply wait this out. And obviously, no baranis for a while!

DD had a very minor case of the twisties about a year ago but by working through progressions, she was able to clear it. One important thing she mentioned at the time is that whenever they do a twisting rotation, they always twist up at the beginning (adding successive half twists) and twist down at the end, finishing with some back layouts or back tucks. DS passed this along to his teammates as well, and now they all do it. They both say it helps to prevent problems, and to keep problems that arise significantly shorter term.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back