WAG How many mins handstand for L7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mandy

I was having a little bit of an argument (in a nice way) with a friend of mine about how many shoulders tappers (also called handstand wall runs) against a wall and how many minutes a handstand against a wall a strong L7 gymnast should be able to do?

I think it should be about 25 tappers per hand so 50 in total.
My friend says at least 100 per arm!

For handstand I would go with about 3 minutes with very good form, my friend goes for at least 5?

I don't know, ususally L7s are pretty strong already but I think my friend's given numbers are a little high....

what do you say?

I say that staying upside down for 5 minutes would be bad for anyone... all the blood rushing to the head and everything resulting from that - pounding in the ears, dizziness, etc.
Our coach ends a round of the handstand contest after 30 seconds until the finals. The finals round goes no longer than 1 minute - if we have to, we do multiple final rounds.

Its really not necessary to hold a handstand against the wall for such a long time. Wall handstands are a great way to train that strength but by level 7, free handstands should be the main training goal.

Its really not necessary to hold a handstand against the wall for such a long time. Wall handstands are a great way to train that strength but by level 7, free handstands should be the main training goal.

Thanks you, I appreciate your opinion!

But how could I measure shoulder/handstand strength then? what about the shoulder taps?

How long can they hold a free handstand? Press to handstand?

Just called her to ask her, she is the coach

All of them are between age 12-16, they can hold it free between 20sec-50sec, most of them can do 2 straddle presses and 1 pike press from stand, the 2 younger ones can do more straddle presses (4 or 5) and one girl can't do one.

I would like a L7 to be able to hold a HS against a wall for a minimum of 3 minutes to probably around 5 minutes. Thing is, if it's not been practiced you can't just say let's do 5 minutes straight at the end of every training session this week. This is something that has to be built up over time. And not at the expense of Free Handstand training time which is why it's a good exercise to do at the end of the day or in a circuit sort of as a rest.

Shoulder tappers against a wall? I'd say 50-100. Our better L6's could often do between 30-50 routinely if not occasionally hitting 50-100.

I would like a L7 to be able to hold a HS against a wall for a minimum of 3 minutes to probably around 5 minutes. Thing is, if it's not been practiced you can't just say let's do 5 minutes straight at the end of every training session this week. This is something that has to be built up over time. And not at the expense of Free Handstand training time which is why it's a good exercise to do at the end of the day or in a circuit sort of as a rest.

Shoulder tappers against a wall? I'd say 50-100. Our better L6's could often do between 30-50 routinely if not occasionally hitting 50-100.

Thanks for your answer!

What do you mean by 50 shoulder tappers?
Once tap one count or two taps one count?
So 50 shoulder tappers equals 100 single taps or 50 shoulder taps?

And should those exercises be done stomach or back facing against the wall?
How far away should the hands be?

I prefer stomach to wall. Tapping each shoulder is one rep.

Hands should be roughly normal hand placement, roughly shoulder width depending on shoulder flexibility.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back