Parents how much is too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rmankini

Proud Parent
I have an almost 6 year old girl who is in pre-team. She just got moved up in her pre-team and she is obsessed. They just started their 2 night a week (1 hour 45 min) per training. But even after her bath, she insists on working on some skills. Should I step in and tell her "no, take a rest." She will want to practice even on nights she just had her training. I don't want her burnt out and loosing interest, I don't want her to over work and get injured or am I just worrying over nothing? much appreciated :)

Congrats on the move up. What type of training is she wanting to do at home?

We did not start that young so I am not sure what pre-team does. My DD goes 16.5 hrs a week and still comes home and does cartwheels, handstands and split leaps all over the house, it's almost like her way of walking around so depending on what she is doing it sounds pretty normal.

That sounds about par for the course. I think if anything I would try to limit back bends. Those always make me nervous at home for some reason. I think too many is not great for their back at such a young age but really I have nothing to back that up. Anyone?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about. My dd is the same way and she's been doing it a couple of years already. Even after her 4 hour practice, she'll come home and do handstands, back walkovers, round offs etc. As long as she isn't trying things she shouldn't be doing at home like ROBHS, I don't think it's a problem.

I agree with @AgingHippie. Sounds just like my DD at that age. She really wanted to get her tick tock!! Plus I think she really just wanted to show off to me what she learned. I worried about the back thing but just make sure she doesn't do too much. For example, support her to do 15 minutes of "practice" if she wants it but then move her on to something else. DD still does tons of stuff at home. Agree it's like breathing or walking to her...

Mines older & elite track but still thinks walking on her hands/ cartwheels/ walkovers are the natural way to progress around the house/supermarket etc
Relaxes reading a book in a variety of splits positions....how is that comfortable? ??? Lol

Sounds like your daughters doing what all young gymies do -enjoy☺

Mine was the same at that age and the same now 9 she also reads,draws and watches TV in all sorts of strange positions the only time she is the right way up is strapped in the car!

She won't burn herself out. Her training hours are still quite low, but she will only do things at home if she feels compelled to and wants too. If she has had enough she will stop.

The only thing you need to be watchful for is the safety of the skills she is doing at home. Most kids will usually only do things they are safe with. But some will go home and try to throw the skills they just learned at training., ie the coach spotted them for their first back handsprings at training so they think they will go home and see if they can do it on their own.

My daughters mode of transportation around the house at that age was cartwheels. She also watched TV doing handstands. She is over it mostly at almost 10

This too shall pass.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back