How much time does your gymnast spend in the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My Level 5/6 daughter trains 16 hrs per week. Our Level 7s and 8s train 20 hrs and our Level 9s and 10s train 24 hrs a week.

My daughter is a level 4, trains 10 hours a week.

Our L5s train 14 hours, L6s train 16 hours, L7s train 18 hours and L8-10s train 20 hours.

Dd is a 2nd yr L8 and she normally goes 20 hrs a week. She's done this for 3 yrs now. Although at this very moment she is hurt, so she is only going about 2.5 - 3 hrs a day for conditioning and bars. Since her injury the HC has upped the hours for L7 and up to 23 hrs a wk, so I am assuming when she comes back from her injury (fingers crossed she gets the ok on the 15th) she will be coming back to 23 hrs a week, which basically is 3 school days she will go 5 hrs (M, T & Th) and the other 2 days she will go 4hrs (F & Sat). Should be interesting, but I'm sure she will adjust just like she always has.

At her gym when you are in the lower levels you start at about 9 hrs a wk (L4) and build from there. I think I remember her jumping from 16hrs to 20 when she went from L6 to L7.

I am a 15 year old level 8 gymnast. I just started practicing 17 hoursa week, on Jan. 1st.. from then I have improved greatly, before, i only practiced 7 hours a week. I started gymnastics when I was 9, And went into level 5 at the age of 10 . my advice is to go as much as possible, but make sure the gymnast is trying her hardest at each praciced and being pushed hard enough to get where he/she wants to go.

My 8 yo L4 goes for a total of 9 hours (3x3). L5s go for 12 (3 hours for times a week).

My 4 year old will start Level 1 pre-team in April and will go 3 hours a week. I was told they're aiming to have her group compete Level 3 in the fall and that will push her up to 5 hours a week. The gym she goes to only has up to Level 7 at this point (they're just starting to build an optional team) and those girls go 15 hours a week.

My dd is 6 years old (almost 7) is a L4/5 and training for TOPS. She trains 11.5 hrs for L4 and 3.5 hrs a week for TOPS.

Depending on the time of the year hours are subject to change. They have more hours in the summer and holidays.

Time in the gym

Joscelyn is in gym class about 5 hrs a week, and she is 4 years old. She is at the gym goofing off about 10 more hours a week. She has a lot of fun with her friends and everybody knows Josc at the gym. She thinks the gym is her birth right or something. I can't wait til she can compete, it never crossed my mind that one day I might be cheering for anyone at a gymnasts competition.

I took the poll based on my dd's hours...
She starts level 4 team monday, just turned 7yrs old, and goes 9 hrs (3x3)a week, plus 1 hr of ballet, and she trains TOPs too, 2 hrs a week...so total of 12 hrs.

Ds, (9yrs)moving to preteam in April will go 6 hrs per week. (and he wishes they had something like TOPs for boys at our gym, which we don't)

Level 5's add another 3 hr day...not sure after that.

Wow, 20hrs a week sounds like an awful lot of time...how do they do homework, or do you basically give up on school and homeschool them if they achieve those levels?
Glad I don't have to think about that for a while...

For our girls we have both a competitive team and a novice team. The competitive team do all the main competitions and this is the main team.
Level 1 - 4 hours
Level 2 - 6 hours
Level 3 - 9 hours
Level 4 - 14 hours
Level 5 - 16 hours
Level 6 - 18 hours
Level 7-10 - 20 hours

This is about average for Australia, some do less, some do more.

Our Novice team do more local type competitions against other gyms who don't do a lot of hours
Level 1 - 2 hours
Level 2 - 4 hours
Level 3 - 6 hours
Level 4 - 9 hours

Our boys don't do as many hours as the girls, again this seems to be fairly normal.
Level 1 - 2 hours
Level 2 - 4 hours
Level 3 - 6 hours
Level 4-5 - 10 hours
Level 6-7 - 12 hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back