Parents How often does your dd/ds do "gym stuff" outside the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DS (6 shortly) and the boy across the street (8 almost 9) are at it constantly. Our families tend to hang out a lot and we purposely go to kid/family friendly places because the boys are always doing handstands, walking on their hands, cartwheels or splits. At our bus stop their is another young boy gymnast (age 6) and a few recreational ones (all elementary age) so some days waiting for the bus is one big practice.

Like Bajanswife, not so much anymore. She does a lot of hands walking and still conditions like crazy but now that she is working fulls, cartwheels aren't "fun" anymore. The skills would choose to do are too difficult for her off a spring floor so that has cut down on a lot of gym at home.

Also at 17 hours a week, I'd rather her rest her wrists and joints some during her home time. She's only 9 and she's going to need that body to last for many more decades!

Constantly! There was a period of time when she would cartwheel everywhere in the house rather than walking. When she learned her robhs, she would do them everywhere. We eventually had to make a rule of "no back handsprings" without a mat because I was afraid she would hurt herself. And yes we do have a mat in the basement, along with a practice beam and a pullup bar. The pullup bar was installed shortly after she ripped the towel rack off the wall of her bathroom doing leg lifts. "But Dad, no one told me I couldn't use the towel rack for leg lifts!"

I don't mean practising at home.

I got the idea for this thread earlier today after catching my youngest dd upside down on the couch and also doing handstands on the floor, just as I was logging in to start this thread dd was at it again lol, everyday she is doing something gymnastics related, its like she is on autopilot or something, she doesn't seem to think about what she is doing she just does it.

K subconsciously walks around with "pretty fingers". She also does it when she is posing for pictures, even if her hands are by her side. I do catch her upside down quite a bit as well. They just can't help it LOL

Oh I can relate to this. It's like just out of nowhere, flip flip. Supermarket aisles are wonderful for tumbling! Buggies are good pull up bars (DD is really short). EVERYTHING is a balance beam for handstands & turns. She's in gym over 20 hours a week and still never stops at home! Coaches assign 5 min splits (hyper) and press handstands. Have a hard time getting her to do her math homework, but not her gym homework!

Mine has gym homework too. This evening I had promised the kids we'd have a film night and right after tea we'd snuggle under a duvet with popcorn and watch Rise of the Guardians. dd had school homework to do, but was busy doing gym homework and running out of time. I did the whole "seriously, you need to think about the impact tomorrow of a few extra pike up handstands compared to not having done your maths homework". I had the whole hands on hip, serious face going. I handed over her book and a pencil and said you've only got 15 minutes. Came back in and she was upside having 'thought about it'. I should have made myself more clear!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back