How to become a "dancer"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
I am more of a powerful gymnast, and I am not very good at my dance. In my floor routine, I don't have any personality in it, and I think that I look funny when I am trying to do the dance in my routine. My coach choreographed it for me, so she thinks I should be able to do it. But I would like to be able to become a more graceful, flowy gymnast. How can I do that?

Well I think that gymnasts tend to be either a powerhouse or a dancer type. I think its rare to find a gymnast that does both equally as well. That isn't to say you can't do dance well. If you feel funny doing the dance part then it really isn't the dance that is the problem it's your perception and confidence in doing the dance that is the problem. The mind, confidence and your perception of your skills is 1/2 of being a gymnast.

I know this is more money and another day to find some time to do this but dance lessons might help. But again if you don't see yourself as being able to do dance well then you will never see your dance as good.

Listen to you coach if he/she is saying it looks good then it probably is looking good.

My DD would be considered the dancer rather than the powerhouse. Yes she can tumble but she has those graceful dancer lines and of course wishes she had more powerhouse atributes.

The best thing you can do is believe in yourself, trust your coach knows what she is doing and has given you a routine you can do well, and give it your best effort. Good luck

You have to let the dance flow out of you. Dance may seem awkward at first, but eventualy, with practice, it will become easier.:) Good Luck!

You have to let the dance flow out of you. Dance may seem awkward at first, but eventualy, with practice, it will become easier.:) Good Luck!

yes and don't be afraid to express yourself and maybe even feel a llittle silly doing the dance. Confidence will be the key for you.

Well I think that gymnasts tend to be either a powerhouse or a dancer type. I think its rare to find a gymnast that does both equally as well.

I think that I would fit into this catagorie. (No brag intented.) My dance isn't better than my tumbling; and my tumbling isn't better than my dance. ...They both aren't very good.

In time, your dance in your routine is very likely going to improve a ton. This is quite typical for a gymnast. A few good dance lessons will help accelerate that process and will help you refine your dance moves.

Please keep in mind, that is different than becoming a good dancer in general, which will take many many more years of more intensive training.

You probably just happen to be more powerful, like shawn rather than nastia. But some powerful dancers can be really good! However, if you want to be graceful just let your body feel a little free.

No, I am not looking to actually become a dance student...just to improve my dance for gymnastics and for my routine's. Thank you though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back