WAG How to deal with kids who don't listen

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SweetSecrets15

Coach
Gymnast
I'm coaching a beginners rec classes and it's fun, but some of my students are just a nightmare to teach! They don't listen, lay around, play on equipment, and distract the class. And it's just a waste of time if I have to spend half of the class telling them to "stop, stand up, get off,". Worst thing about it is their parents are always watching with a huge smile on their face. I talk to the parents afterwards and explain that their kids aren't listening and they always say "Yeah, I know we need to work on that," but the next week the same thing happens. Any tips on how to engage them, make them listen?

Thanks!

First set clear expectations at the beginning of class with clear consequences. DON'T try to be their friend. Be nice, courteous but it needs to be seen that you are in charge. Then FOLLOW through on the consequences. Also be sure there is very little down time/waiting in lines. Be sure they understand the directions. Be nice but firm. It can take a while but you can turn it around.

Wholeheartedly agree with htimcj.
Set the expectations at the beginning of class. Make it clear what you expect of them, make it clear what the consequences will be and follow through.
You will be amazed at how well they can pay attention and behave if they know exactly what it is you want them to do. I like making sure they are watching me as I speak, for instance, so I know they are listening.
Definitely eliminate standing in line, add small stations that they can easily do on their own.

We usually have a fun activity at the end (aka carrot for good behaviour and getting assignments done in time), as well as stickers or stamps at the end. You could make this a sticker chart for the class where kids with good listening gets a sticker and after X stickers get rewarded with something cool (5 min free time on trampoline or something).

Don't give up, it's entirely possible to have well behaved, focused preschool classes that are a lot of fun both for the gymnasts AND the coach. :) this is a really rewarding age group to work with.

Is there a lot of standing in line? If so, then change that. Young, beginner gymnasts need to keep moving.

No, I always have more stations then the number of students so they are constantly moving through. But they usually play around on the stations or do them wrong (and dangerously) on purpose.

Are you interesting to listen to?

Seems like a funny question but it in an important one to ask yourself. If p,aging on the equipment and distracting their friends is more exciting than listening to you then of course that is the choice they are going to make.

As a coach you need to be interesting, engaging, encouraging, dynamic, motivated and energetic. Coaches like this hold even the most distracted kids in the palm of their hand.

You also need to build their confidence, kids who feel like they are good at what they do will work harder and be motivated to do the exersizes properly. I can't underestimate the importance of encouragement to help kids listen and focus.

If there are more stations than students then perhaps there are too many stations and the gymnasts are not remembering what to do on all of them. Also they might be remembering the activities but not the details of how to do them correctly and well.

Are you making sure they get a chance to see what to do? Or do you just explain the activities. Over 70% of kids are visual learners, to do the work correctly they need to see it done, do you demonstrate or have a gymnast demonstrate what to do?

Don't rely on telling parents about poor behaviour, young kids need immediate consequences. It won't make much difference if Mum and Dad give them a good talking too at home because it will be forgotten by the next class. What consequences do you have in place?

In addition to what consequences do you currently have in place, what does the gym consider acceptable consequences?
In our gym behavior expectations are laid out at the beginning of class. The child will be given a reminder... then a warning of possible consequences, then a "time out" until the end of that event, they are asked to rejoin as the group rotates to the next event (where the gymnast can be the line leader / example. A further disruption results in another warning (short term memories and all), then a time out after that - to the end of the rotation (and the loss of "stamps" at the end of class). Any disruptions after they come back from the 2nd time out is removal from class for the day (and after 2nd time out, they are not the line leader and are told there are no more warnings). Classes are 45 minutes - 1 hour long. We have only had to remove one child from class for the day. Same child made it to the 2nd time out the next week, only 1 time out the 3rd week, and by the 4th week, she never got another timeout.
We had to put these consequences in place when this child came to summer camp for the first time. After Day 1 and HC had talked to the parent, there was a meeting with all the coaches and junior counselors (she was having issues even with 1-on-1 instruction, but nothing "wrong" with her other than being an only child). Until then, it was always just reminders and warnings or miss a single turn.
We have the rules in place now, but rarely even get to one time out.

With my older girls they know that if they don't listen they get to be treated the way they act, so if there acting like 5 year olds they get treated like 5 year olds.

With my preteam kids they get surprise ever month if they listen every week. If the week they get the surprise they don't listen during class they don't get it that week and they know that.

Something I also let them do during stretching we go around and everybody tells me one thing about anything but then for the rest the class I can't just shout out my name to tell me something because They really like to do that

Work together for a common purpose. From drills to moving a mat together.
It’s not easy when someones don’t get to be first. Or they are unable to stand next to their favorite friend in line. Help children to learn appropriate ways to resolve their conflicts.
Gymnasts must try and try again to achieve even the simplest of skills. So stay with an activity until it’s completed.
Young gymnasts need to learn how to ask for help from their coach and their classmates.
Inevitably another child will learn a skill more quickly, run a race faster or be chosen to lead the line for the day, and others will not like it. Give the children an opportunity to cope with those yucky feelings and express them appropriately.
Gymnastics is not an easy sport. However, if children will try hard they will see progress. They will understand the relationship between effort and success.
Set goals and let children to believe that they have the capacity to reach. Watching older girls fly around the gym, others will think that someday, if they will work hard, that they can do that too.

All excellent advice so far! I'd just like to add, with my 3 kids at home, if I ask them to do something, say brush your teeth for example, and only one of the three gets up to go do it, I'll say "Good job kid#2, excellent listening!". Almost always what follows is another one then gets up and says "look mom, am I being good too?" and of course then I make a big deal of praising them. I usually don't have to ask again because they will all do it, they kind of compete with each other being good, even if the only reward is praise.

How old are they?
Yes how old are they.

How 4 yr olds behave and what they are capable of is very different then 8 yr olds.

Younger kids need less steps, more specific instructions etc....

I remember kiddie story time at the library. There are age groups that simply can not keep quiet and still for a story. It was lovely when my girl and her cohorts finally got old enough to actually listen to a story. I took pictures. :)

Can't comment on the to do's or the expectations, without an age group.

One thing that works for all age groups, even adults. Spend more time praising and catching them doing something right, then criticizing.

Positive reinforcement should help at least some of them. Kids rarely try to be bad. They really do want to please the adults. You might have to dig deep, but even when correcting, starting with a positive will help. Also, how many kids are in the class with just 1 coach? Might be too many.

I'm coaching a beginners rec classes and it's fun, but some of my students are just a nightmare to teach! They don't listen, lay around, play on equipment, and distract the class. And it's just a waste of time if I have to spend half of the class telling them to "stop, stand up, get off,". Worst thing about it is their parents are always watching with a huge smile on their face. I talk to the parents afterwards and explain that their kids aren't listening and they always say "Yeah, I know we need to work on that," but the next week the same thing happens. Any tips on how to engage them, make them listen?

Thanks!

rope

Well, if they're 4 or 5 they may think that if they mess around and have fun, others think it's cute. Remember when you had 7 month old squealing babies, and it was so cute when they squealed when they played? Maybe they still think you find it cute, and in an effort to please or have fun, so they continue that behavior. Firmly let them know that behavior is not appropriate for gymnastics. Maybe at a park or playing at home, not at gymnastics, not in a structured environment. Definitely drill it into their heads that you are the one in charge and they have to behave accordingly, and respect you.

I agree with setting the expectations and sticking with them. Be firm, you are their coach, not a friend. Help them see that if they are listening and following directions you will make sure they have lots of fun, but be tough when they are not listening. Some of the consequences I use for not listening or bad behavior are having to go to the back of the line, not getting picked to be a line leader, being moved away from a friend, sitting out a turn (standing next to me)- make sure they understand why they are receiving this consequence, some kids really don't know. Remind them as a group that the rules are in place to keep them safe and help them have fun.
I try to throw in a carrot every once in a while to make them feel like they are doing something big and impressive or get a reward for working hard. Something like, "I am going to let you do jumps off the big vault onto the squishy mat, but if you are being unsafe or not following directions we can't do it. Do you think you can do it?" Or, "I'm going to give you a few stations to remember, it's a lot to remember, it might be really hard, do you think you can do it?" Or, "We have a lot to do today and if you are good listeners we will have time to do it all and maybe play a game at the end, do you guys think you can be good listeners and work really hard so we get to do all of the fun things I have planned?" It seems silly, but some kids really grab on to that kind of thing. Or saying you are giving them a station that the "big/team" kids do and sometimes have a hard time with, do they think they can do?
Keep the side stations simple, things you know they are capable of doing on their own. And remind them that they can only have the opportunity to work on stations on their own if they are listening, following directions, and doing what they are asked. If they cannot listen and follow directions they will need to sit quietly in line and wait their 1 turn.

I'll admit that my son would screw off during rec classes, particularly if it wasn't something he wanted to do, or if he was bored, or if the line was too long. He was in and out of rec until almost age 8.

What helped? One no-nonsense substitute who made a huge production out of stopping class, grabbing a hula hoop, and making my son sit in it for a time-out.

Did he magically start listening 100%? No. But he was very much improved, no matter his instructor.

Also, my son loves to break dance. A different instructor noticed that DS would just start breakdancing when bored/waiting/disinterested. He started challenging DS to a dance-off after class. DS loved it and then danced less in class while he was supposed to be doing other things.

He's on team these days and is listening much better. He doesn't have the time to screw off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back