WAG How to get power out of a toe handstand?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
My coach wants me to start working rays and melonies, but I can't figure out howto get power! He just says segmentation... Any suggestions?

Ask him for a more complete description of your problem on the skill, and how to fix it. The term segmentation could mean a few different things, so ask for specifics that apply to you.

well, you're not supposed to segment the body. i think that's what he means. adding angles diffuses and distracts energy and power away from the points on the body and rail where it is needed most during a skill. the #1 component of those skills is the "late drop". the later you put your toes on the bar during the descent phase of the swing, the more energy you will load in to the bar. the bar is your center of mass. and your body the center of gravity. the later the drop, the more load is placed on the center of mass. the more load to the center of mass means a smaller center of gravity going around the rail (you). the smaller the COG means more energy stored at the COM which means you will bend the rail more and when you open up your arm angle you will fly like a rocket.:)

and fyi: it's "Maloney".

well, you're not supposed to segment the body. i think that's what he means. adding angles diffuses and distracts energy and power away from the points on the body and rail where it is needed most during a skill. the #1 component of those skills is the "late drop". the later you put your toes on the bar during the descent phase of the swing, the more energy you will load in to the bar. the bar is your center of mass. and your body the center of gravity. the later the drop, the more load is placed on the center of mass. the more load to the center of mass means a smaller center of gravity going around the rail (you). the smaller the COG means more energy stored at the COM which means when you will bend the rail more and when you open up your arm angle you will fly like a rocket.:)

I love gym physics in the morning. It always makes me smile.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back