WAG How to improve?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast

This is my level 6 routines from yesterday. It was my last meet, but I need to know how to improve. Keep in mind next year I won't be competing level 6, so no backtucks or fhs fronts or back walk overs on beam. Next year I will be doing a full ( which is wayyy better, go to this video: ) a fhs front pike, bhs on beam, etc etc regular level 7/8 stuff. (except giants). Any way I can improve to get my scores higher? (my first 9 in usag was yesterday and i STILL wasn't happy with it.

I'm no judge BUT I noticed the following in Video 1:
Vault: you were piked in the entry and had a slight arch after you block.
Bars: I think a lot of deduction came from not getting B credit for the clear hip (not big enough) so lowered SV.
Also work on higher casts.
Beam: Split jump and leap could be bigger to avoid more deduction but pretty clean routine.
Floor: Nice overall, just some angles could be bigger.
I'm also a level 6 and obviously not a judge so these are some more obvious things. But great job and hopefully you can get some more feedback from others!

I'm no judge BUT I noticed the following in Video 1:
Vault: you were piked in the entry and had a slight arch after you block.
Bars: I think a lot of deduction came from not getting B credit for the clear hip (not big enough) so lowered SV.
Also work on higher casts.
Beam: Split jump and leap could be bigger to avoid more deduction but pretty clean routine.
Floor: Nice overall, just some angles could be bigger.
I'm also a level 6 and obviously not a judge so these are some more obvious things. But great job and hopefully you can get some more feedback from others!

thank you! I agree with all since I have been told by my coaches lol. My first level 6 meet on bars was MUCH better, 8.95.. but I hit my casts ABOVE horizontal [emoji23]

The good:
Vault: good stretched position off, seems like you have a good amount of power from your run
Bars: nice straight legs throughout
Beam: seems very solid especially the confident back walkover
Floor: height on your tumbling is good

The bad:
Vault: piking onto the horse and pulling your head into your chest afterwards instead of keeping your eyes on your hands
Bars: arms bent in kip, finishing kip with legs behind you which makes it hard to cast, low casts, need to drop stronger into clear hip (making it hard to get a good angle), piking in cast away on HB, sticking head out and flexing feet on flyaway
Beam: low angle on split and tuck jump and flexed feet, falling forward out of turn (better in the other video), seesaw on the split leap, can run more aggressively into your dismount
Floor: bent back leg on split leap, stepping out of the turning jumps.

In general you also need to work on your form a little. There are quite a few flexed feet and not-quite-straight legs throughout your routines.
If you want to be able to improve on bars and do giants, you really need a higher cast and more power/swing to be able to master the technique. E.g. it's possible to do a clear hip to handstand out of a pretty small cast (maybe not as small as in the video) but you need to really be able to drop into it and pull with straight arms. What kind of conditioning does your gym do for bars? It seems like maybe you aren't getting the physical preparation you need to be strong enough for some of these advanced bars skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back