Parents How to juggle gym/school/life-and keep kids sane???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That would be very state specific. In Illinois, if you are not in the classroom for the entire session (or pretty darn close), it doesn't count. So if you want to pick them up early, the school loses state aid for that child for that part of the day. My school district was not at all on board with me picking up my daughter early every day for practice. We have to do a half day school/half day homeschool to make it work.

I have a similar situation - My middle DD (almost 6 years old and in kindergarten) is a level 4 and practices 9.5 hours a week, all on school days. She gets out of school at 3:30, and we drive straight to the gym for practice at 4.

Things I've done to help with our busy schedule:
-Make sure I have a healthy, filling snack and drink ready in the car for on the way to practice.
-Lots of crock pot meals that are ready to eat right when we get home from practice at 7:30.
-Earlier bedtime (by 30 minutes) on non-gym nights to catch up on sleep.
-Limit other activities. She's had to opt out of joining Girl Scouts, soccer, dance, etc., but I think it's worth it. Gymnastics has been great for developing her fitness and self-esteem, and she's having so much fun being on the team.
-I've talked to her teacher about her practice schedule, and asked that the teacher let me know if DD ever seems overtired or unfocused during the school day.

Sometimes my DD whines in the car on the way to gym, or cries afterwards (usually signs that she is either tired or hungry) - but she is always happy during practice. If she were to start crying during practice I would shorten her hours or take an occasional day off to give her some down time.

It seems like your gym has a lot of hours for pre-team. Does your gym start competition at level 5?

Not to hijack your thread OP, but the PP got me thinking. How many team parents here talk to their kids teachers about their practice schedules?

Oh, definitely. My daughter's teachers know about her practice schedule. I have told them that they need to let me know at the first sign of a problem (not getting homework done, seems tired in class, etc.) because school comes first.

My daughter's teacher has a copy of her training schedule so she knows which nights she has been training late. We've agreed that she will keep an eye on things and let me know if she notices any difference in daughter's attention span through the week.

She has offered to reduce homework on those nights (she is only 8 and only gets a few pieces a week anyway) and to let her come in half an hour later in the morning if she is super tired (she would only miss assembly). I'm not sure I would want to take them up on either of those things, but luckily so far she has been doing really well at school and not having any problems and it's nice to know they are behind her if needed.

How many team parents here talk to their kids teachers about their practice schedules?
We have, though it's because DD is required to read 30 minutes a night and keep a reading log. We've arranged with the teacher to let her total 3.5 hours/week (DD well exceeds this, as she loves reading), but not have entries every single day because practice nights are time limited and she needs to get other homework done.

We also have discussed her schedule with her teacher. Her teacher is supportive of modifying the days her homework is assigned and/or handed in but is really big on the kids taking ownership of their workload so is waiting for the fellows to ask for those modifications. We'll see if that ever happens :)

momofthreegirls- they start competing at level three, but this pre- team program is also a feeder for their TOPS program, so we are told all the girls need to be " tops- ready", even if this is not what the parents choose. i think their level four is actually also 9 hours...

Not to hijack your thread OP, but the PP got me thinking. How many team parents here talk to their kids teachers about their practice schedules?

I bring it up at parents meetings. Mainly to let them know how much training she is doing, so they can keep an eye on her and let us know if she seems tired or unwell at all. So far her teachers have been amazed, and have said they would never have known.

I don't ask for modified schedules or homework, as she seems to be keeping on top of it all :fingerscrossed: Fortunately though she gets all her homework on a friday, to be handed in the next thursday, so she usually gets it done before practice on saturdays.

I'm a bit worried (nothing like worrying in advance :rolleyes:) for secondary school (here that's 11-18), as most schools seem to give them at least an hour a night. One of the rec girls was saying she gets an hour for one subject on the day she has gym, to be in the next day, and is really struggling. I can see me writing a lot of notes, I know girls who've had to give up all their hobbies (so rec classes, guides etc, not specifically gymnastics) just so they can get the homework done. Which I think is downright wrong to be honest. Yes, school is important, but so is life balance. It's just as bad as neglecting school for gymnastics imo....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back